cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Dropbox 99.4.501 Waiting to Sync

Highlighted

Windows 10 Dropbox 99.4.501 Waiting to Sync

Helpful | Level 5

Yesterday Dropbox stopped syncing files on my two Windows 10 PCs. The files show up on the Dropbox website and in the Dropbox Android app, but the Dropbox desktop app continuously shows a status of Syncing but without any files getting synced.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps in

Dropbox not updating: troubleshoot sync issues

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/files-update-issues

Nothing has helped. Windows 10 has all updates installed except Windows 10, version 2004. This is Dropbox Basic with desktop app version 99.4.501. I have used Dropbox for many years with few problems but cannot figure out this problem.

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 Dropbox 99.4.501 Waiting to Sync

Dropboxer

Hi @PHWhite, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you try the steps in this thread to see if they help?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Jay, but unfortunately this did not help. I had previously seen this but missed the Alt+H part. When I tired that I got the menu that let me click on "Fix Hardlinks" and then "Fix permissions", but nothing I have tried makes any differnce.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If you don't have more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

It will take some time to re-index the files, so please allow the app to continue the process.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 Dropbox 100.4.409 Waiting to Sync

Helpful | Level 5

I did the reinstall, but sync is still stuck. Before doing the reinstall I moved 2.5 GB of old photos from Dropbox to Google Drive and deleted the backups from Dropbox. Before I moved the 2.5 GB of photos, Dropbox reported that I was using about 90% of 7.2 GB, and it now reports that I am using about 54%.

After doing the reinstall, when it was still not working, I deleted a file from a shared folder that was not downloading and unlinked/relinked the Dropbox account to see if that helped, but it did not.

I tried emailing Dropbox support but got a reply that indicated I need to upgrade to Dropbox Plus to get any help.

I am considering signing up for a free Dropbox Plus trial to see what happens and emailing Dropbox support if syncing remains broken.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Upgrading to a Dropbox Plus plan wouldn't necessarily help with the syncing, as it seems there are other non-quota related issues preventing the sync.

Have you tried increasing the bandwidth speed to see if this helps? Do you have more than 300,000 files on your account?

Jay

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I figure that Dropbox Plus is not likely to solve the problem, but it would make me eligible for Dropbox email support, which is not provided with Dropbox Basic.

I have about 7,500 Dropbox files that occupy about 4 GB of space.

My Bandwith Download rate was set to Don't limit, and the Upload rate was set to Limit automatically, so I set that to Don't limit. My Interent is fast enough to stream 2 video sessions without nticing an effect on anything else. Most of the files are small enough that they typically sync so quickly that I don't notice them syncing.

This is not slow syncing, this is no syncing that started with no clue why. The 2.5 GB of Dropbox photos that I moved to Google Drive got synced by Google Drive in about an hour I believe.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Somebody posted an idea for resolving sync problems by removing the files that don't sync and then adding them back individually. I tried that and discovered that deletions are getting synced between the two Windows laptops. After removing all files that were not syncing, the Dropbox status on both Windows laptops was "Up to date". When I moved a file to the Dropbox folder, the upload from that Windows laptop sync'ed to the Dropbox cloud, and the file appeared on the other Windows laptop with a Dropbox status of "Waiting to sync". However, the file never made it to the Dropbox folder on the other Windows laptop.

In summary, the issue seems to be that Dropbox download syncing is not working.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I tried this again, and the Dropbox Windows upload syncing is not working.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @PHWhite, I can see that you posted in another thread related to this matter.

If you’re experiencing syncing issues on the computer, you can safely delete the cache folder using these steps to see if it helps.

Keep me posted!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?