cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 apps on SSD but all Files and folder for sync on HDD

Highlighted

Windows 10 apps on SSD but all Files and folder for sync on HDD

New member | Level 2

I am starting to trial Dropbox but have come across a problem.  Dropbox doesn't appear to allow having apps on my fast 100 GB SSD whilst data is on my slower 1000 GB HDD.  I reserve the SSD for fast processing required for video editing. Am I right that Dropbox will not allow apps and data on separate disk drives?

Further Info: I am using Windows 10 on desktop machine.   After a lot of effort, I had previously re located several folder used by Windows to my HDD. One of these is "documents" which I do not use since all my files and folders are held in their own folders.  For folders such as Documents, Camera Roll etc, which I do not use, I created a folder named "ZZZ" and have them all in there.  Would this setup collapse in Dropbox?

I had previously tried to use Microsoft Onedrive and it almost succeded in letting me trash my machine.  Onedrive seemed to set up a new Documents file on the SDD and, for good measure a copy (not an actual copy) of this on File Explorer.  Now I had apparently three verions shown on File Explorer(SSD HDD and a copy).  I am keen to avoid this in my selected  cloud storage package. Discuss.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 apps on SSD but all Files and folder for sync on HDD

Super User II

@Philipus wrote:

Am I right that Dropbox will not allow apps and data on separate disk drives?

The Dropbox application will always be installed on your main system drive, typically C: on a Windows machine. The Dropbox folder which contains your data can be on any local drive you want, though the system drive is preferred.

You should avoid placing the Dropbox folder on an external/removable drive (under the right circumstances, data loss can occur).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?