Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Windows 10 context menu slow down due to Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

It appears that the latest Dropbox update (version 84.4.170) from a few days ago has slowed down the Windows 10 context menu considerably. It can now take 20 seconds to display the context menu after rightclicking, regardless of whether I rightclick in a Dropbox folder or a folder outside of Dropbox. I noticed that a new Dropbox item called "Send with transfer" has appeared in the context menu. Perhaps that is related. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this (i.e. without shutting down Dropbox)?

21 Replies 21
Highlighted

Re: Windows 10 context menu slow down due to Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @michaels123, thanks for posting us on the Dropbox Community on this! 

As you mentioned that you’re experiencing the delay both inside the Dropbox folder & locally on your pc, it would be interesting to see if this persists when Dropbox isn’t running. Despite having mentioned in your initial post that you'd like to see if that's valid without shutting down Dropbox, I can't avoid going down that route, as that's the best way to see if that's attributed to Dropbox or otherwise. 

Please stop Dropbox by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray at the bottom of your screen ➡️ Then click next to your profile picture in the Notifications panel & select "Quit Dropbox".

If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application. 

Keep me posted on the results. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The issue does not persist when Dropbox is shutdown. Without Dropbox running the right click context menu appears immediately.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @michaels123, apologies or the slight delay. 

I ran a few tests on my end & I couldn’t re-create this behavior. 

It would be interesting to see if you’re facing that across devices or it’s happening with a specific environment. Could you quickly confirm that you’ve installed the Dropbox desktop app with admin privileges on the problematic device?

I may need to have a closer look on what the delay looks like on your side with & without Dropbox running. Would it be okay with you?

Thanks again! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Jane, 

Yes, Dropbox installed with admin privileges. We are facing this issue across multiple computers.

It would be great if you could look into this further - it is very frustrating having to wait that long for the context menu to appear. 

Regards

Michael

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for these extra details Michael!

I’ve just sent you a brief message, in order to have a closer look at this based on the info I have on file. Please have a look at the inbox connected to your Community login when you have some spare time & we’ll take it from there. 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I would like to open this one up again as we are have identical issues. General wait time  on right click is 2-3 seconds which isnt sustainable.

Incontect works fine outside of drobox folders, leightweight and snappy.

Have installed with admin priveliges using latest file today 05/02/20.

If i turn dropbox off i get fast rightclick across al files in folder in and out of dropbox, -

Would love some assistence here too, thankyou!

Rhys

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Rhys2, thanks for joining the discussion here!

Can you just let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed?

Do you notice this behaviour when the desktop app is syncing, or also when the sync status is showing "Up to date"?

Let me know and we'll take it from there!

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for getting in touch - the version we are on v90 4.307 (downloaded last week)

When DB is syncing we have the issue, if i pause sync the issue goes away.

R

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Rhys2!

So we can have a better look into this, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here.

If you'd like to do a little further troubleshooting, please check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?