cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 not syncing Illustrator files only

Windows 10 not syncing Illustrator files only

Jesus S.5
New member | Level 2

Recently got a new Windows PC, and I noticed a weird thing happening.

Illustrator files will not be synced on to my Windows Desktop. No error message or anything pops up, the folders with .ai files are just empty.

This is the troubleshooting I've done already:

* Checked internet connection. Good connection and stable.

* Checked space in both my Mac and Windows PC, as well as in Dropbox. I have tons of space.

* Check file names for conflicting characters. None are present.

* Uninstalled, re-start pc, and Installed Dropbox several times.

* Changed the name of the file on my Mac. And location too. Wherever I save or move an .ai file in Dropbox,they don't show up on my Windows PC.

* Check that the file shows up on other devices (Iphone and Macbook pro) and on the Dropbox website.

Important note: Whenever I save an .ai file or move an existing one to another folder within Dropbox from my Mac for example, I see my Mac DB syncing, as soon as it's done, I see my Windows DB syncing, and then I get the "up to date" message, but the file does not show up.

So far this is only happening with .ai files, every other kind of file sync correctly on all devices.

PLEASE HELP - I work from home and need to have this issue fixed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows 10 not syncing Illustrator files only

arozanov
Helpful | Level 6

Happy to say that reformatting my HDD from exFat file system to NTFS did the trick for me and now everything runs smoothly. Thanks a lot for backing me up.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Joe D.4
New member | Level 1

I'm having this exact same problem.  Photoshop files are also included.  I'm using creative suite 6, on Windows 10.  Please let me know of any suggestions or fixes.

Thanks,

carlosrosas
New member | Level 2

It is happening to me too, but the thing is, I am on a Mac, using Sierra

Tiesda
Explorer | Level 4
I have the exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

Something I tried to narrow down the issue:

Downloaded a copy to my Windows 10 desktop using the Windows 10 store app > deleted the version in the DropBox folder using either the Mac or the website or Windows 10 store app > Pasted the copy back into Dropbox folder on Windows 10 and it appeared in the Mac: fully synced. However, opening and editing the file on the Mac and saving it makes it dissappear in Windows 10 again. Opening and editing the file on the Windows PC causes no sync issues: the Mac gets the update.

My guess is that the Mac version of Illustrator adds some hidden, persisting characters to the file name or metadata that messes up the syncing on Windows 10's DropBox desktop client.

But how to solve the problem?

Mark
Super User II
Tiesda - possibly a good shout, have you looked at www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tiesda
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks Mark, this didn't help. The check revealed some files that weren't syncable, but not the lllustrator files I'm trying to sync.

jmkrzmarzick
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem, been using dropbox pro for years, but I found no work around except using Creative Cloud Drive or Google Drive instead of Dropbox (I am guessing Box might work too). This problem is not with file names or anything they tell you. It has something to do with Dropbox. Anybody having this problem should probably use a different service until it is fixed by Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Have you logged a ticket so they have an attempt to fix it?

Remember you can log a ticket at http://bit.ly/cm-support and track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jmkrzmarzick
New member | Level 2

Cool, I just did so. It seems to be a problem that has been around a while.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey jmkrzmarzick

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

I'd be more than glad to follow-up on your issue, if you send me a ticket ID to reference in your reply.

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    arozanov Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?