cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Desktop application will only sync in one direction.

Highlighted

Windows Desktop application will only sync in one direction.

Helpful | Level 6

I am currently running Dropbox 107.4.443 on a Desktop running Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004 Build 19041.508.

The app is setup to use Local storage rather than Online Only, LAN Sync is enabled, and the bandwidth in both directions is set to Unlimited. There is no proxy.

I also have Dropbox installed a two android devices, a Win 10 Pro laptop(same version and build), and a CentOS Linux system.

I have a problem that is only affecting the Windows 10 Pro desktop.  I have discovered that any file that has been created, saved, or modified on the desktop has not sync'd (upstream) TO Dropbox since Feb 22nd, 229 days ago.  However, any file that has been created, saved, or modified on the other devices are immediately sync'd (downstream) to the Windows desktop within 30-60 seconds.

So far I have tried the following fixes:

• Uninstall and reinstall Dropbox
  • Unlinked and Linked the Desktop from my Dropbox account
  • I have tried moving the Dropbox folder location.
  • I unlinked the device, I created a backup of the local files, then deleted the Dropbox folder, then relinked it forcing it to download everything.  Downloaded everything successfully, but still cannot sync upstream to dropbox from desktop.
  • I repeated the action above with the exception that I changed the location of the dropx folder to a different physical hard drive.  No Change.
  • Tried disabling MalwareBytes - no change
  • Compared firewall setting between desktop and laptop - no differences found
  • Tried disabling windows firewall - no change
  • Tried using a different internet connection.(Conneted the desktop to a mobile phone hotspot - no change)
  • I've compared installed application files between desktop and laptop. No differences other than environment references(path, drive, etc.).
  • I have compared registry entries between dekstop and laptop. (Only found environment variable differences again)
  • Unlinked and Uninstalled again, deleted all dropbox directories. Ran WIndows SFC, reinstalled and relinked desktop. No Change

For the past 18 days the Dropbox system tray icon shows "Dropbox 107.4.443" followed by "Indexing 51,164 files..." 

Eighteen days ago it was at 51,168 files meaning it has only indexed four files in that time.  Indexed rather than sync'd.  In the task manager DROPBOX is consumming 88% of the CPU and is using 27.9GB of memory. (System has 32GB of ram).  I did see that files updated or added to the other devices on the account  in the past eighteen days are still being sync'd to the desktop.  

Any suggestions short of wiping the entire system?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Windows Desktop application will only sync in one direction.

Helpful | Level 6

It's late Wednesday afternoon and very little sync progress was made.  The count went from 78,199 down to 78,182 since Friday.

From one of my earlier posts - "The update to Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004 was installed about the same time the DropBox app quit uploading.  Coincidence?  Maybe - Maybe not."

Well I will venture out onto a limb and say that I think IT IS NOT a coincidence.

I resolved the problem and found I was experiencing a second problem even though I wasn't aware of it until earlier this afternoon.

Personally, I think Windows 10 ver 2004 and the last Office 365 update have added new restrictions.  It would appear if Microsoft OneDrive is present on your system, ALL OTHER cloud services are crippled or completely blocked.  It would also appear the OneDrive service does not even have to be running/started, it just needs to be present and Windows will disable other cloud applications.

I was almost to the point I was going to wipe the system completely and perform a clean install when I decided to try something goofy - uninstall OndeDrive.

First I decided to terminate OneDrive to see if just terminating the service would stop the problem.  No change.  Proceeded to unistall OneDrive.

Right after starting the uninstall I was side-tracked by a phone call.  During the phone call the OneDrive uninstall finished, and the system rebooted.  While I continued my conversation a dialog for Adobe Creative Cloud popped up, after the reboot, on the screen telling me "Five new shared files are now available on this device."   What???   Of course, I looked to see what the files are.  This is when I discovered Creative Cloud was not working either because the five files were added to a shared folder almost 13 weeks ago by a family member who didn't bother to tell me about them.  Now I look over at the DropBox icon in the system tray and there it was - the icon without the little blue circular arrow, indicating everything was up to date.  What??

2020-10-21_17-56-01.jpg

So, in a matter of less than 20 minutes all 78,182 files indexed and sync'd after OneDrive was removed from the system.  Coincidence??  I seriously doubt it.   Corrupted OneDrive install?  Maybe?  I don't know.   Since the Dropbox desktop app, and Adobe CC have returned to normal, and I do not want or need OneDrive, I have no intention of wasting any more time to find out why it caused the problems.  

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @HIkw-Qedxw, thanks for messaging the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this, and thanks for the detailed information. When you say you've uninstalled the Dropbox desktop application, did you perform an advanced reinstall of the app?

How many files do you have on your Dropbox account in total? Have you tried repairing the hardlinks and permissions using these steps?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello @Jay 
Yes I followed the Advanced ReInstall steps.  I tried the FIX HARDLINKS, but nothing happened.  When I clicked on the button all that happened was the button changed colors.  I even ran the Fix Permissions, which took almost 9 hours, and still no change.

The number of files 'Indexing' two days ago has jumped from 51,164 to 71,886.  However, a new condition has presented itself.  Dropbox no longer seemed to be responding.  Task manager shows five instances of Dropbox(32-bit) running that are completely idle showing no CPU usage,  no disk usage, no network usage, and all five instances combined are consuming less than 2MB of memory.  Then DbxSvc is 0% CPU, 0.1MB Memory, 0% Disk, and 0% Network.  So to test if it was actually unresponsive I added a number of files to DropBox via other devices, and the files immediately sync'd to the desktop system, and all other devices, within seconds.  This would mean the Dbxsvc is listening for and downloading changes.  Then I created a text document, which only contained "This is a test" on the desktop system - it still has not sync'd.  On the desktop system I can use a web browser to manually add a file to Dropbox from a USB drive which will immediately syncs back to the desktop system in the folder I choose, but the Dropbox app still will not upload anything.

On a side note I did notice an odd behavior.  Immediately after following the Advanced Install steps I saw that all files and folders had a sync icon attached that showed they were waiting to be sync'd, but now all of those sync icons are now gone again. No idea what that means.

Obviously there is something stopping the Dropbox application from uploading, but I have no idea what to do or where to look next.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @HIkw-Qedxw, thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Since you've tried all these steps - great work on the troubleshooting by the way! - could you just let me know if you've also rebooted your computer? It just might do the trick. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Lusil - Yes I rebooted after the uninstalls, and again about an hour after completing the install and setup.  Then the desktop system also restarts at a preset time everyday.

So far in the roughly 90+ hours the number of files to be indexed has decreased by one(1) to 71,885.

Again I used a web browser to upload a bunch of files, actually it was 1,813 pictures from an SD card, to Dropbox from a SD card reader attached to the Desktop system and every single file immediately sync'd back to the desktop HD within three minutes.

So far I can only find one windows environment difference between the desktop and laptop.  The laptop uses a 'Local' user account for windows login; whereas, the desktop uses a 'Microsoft Account' for Windows login.  I do not have any free time to play with converting the desktop back to a 'Local' account in the next couple of days, but that will be my next avenue of investigation.  I am wondering if Microsoft now restricts microsoft accounts to use only OneDrive when using a linked account?  The update to Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004 was installed about the same time the DropBox app quit uploading.  Coincidence?  Maybe - Maybe not.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Although I can't say whether it was a coincidence or not, could you let me know the current sync status of your desktop app? 

A screenshot of what you see when you click on the Dropbox icon would also be super helpful. 

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Well I converted the Windows login from a MS Account to a Local Account.  No Change.  In fact it got worse. The number of files to index went up to 78,199 from 71,885.

Here is what I see when I click and hover on the Dropbox tray icon.  I also included a screen shot of the task manager.

2020-10-16_0-35-39.jpg

2020-10-16_0-36-17.jpg

It would appear Dropbox is doing absolutely nothing...it's just sitting there.  All seven processes show no CPU or network  usage what so ever, and a minuscule amount of disk usage.  If it continues to only process 3 files every 96 hours it will take almost 286 YEARS to finish syncing. 

2020-10-16_0-38-10.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hmm, we'll need to have a better look into this.

Could you check our Support page to see your options to contacting our team?

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

It's late Wednesday afternoon and very little sync progress was made.  The count went from 78,199 down to 78,182 since Friday.

From one of my earlier posts - "The update to Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004 was installed about the same time the DropBox app quit uploading.  Coincidence?  Maybe - Maybe not."

Well I will venture out onto a limb and say that I think IT IS NOT a coincidence.

I resolved the problem and found I was experiencing a second problem even though I wasn't aware of it until earlier this afternoon.

Personally, I think Windows 10 ver 2004 and the last Office 365 update have added new restrictions.  It would appear if Microsoft OneDrive is present on your system, ALL OTHER cloud services are crippled or completely blocked.  It would also appear the OneDrive service does not even have to be running/started, it just needs to be present and Windows will disable other cloud applications.

I was almost to the point I was going to wipe the system completely and perform a clean install when I decided to try something goofy - uninstall OndeDrive.

First I decided to terminate OneDrive to see if just terminating the service would stop the problem.  No change.  Proceeded to unistall OneDrive.

Right after starting the uninstall I was side-tracked by a phone call.  During the phone call the OneDrive uninstall finished, and the system rebooted.  While I continued my conversation a dialog for Adobe Creative Cloud popped up, after the reboot, on the screen telling me "Five new shared files are now available on this device."   What???   Of course, I looked to see what the files are.  This is when I discovered Creative Cloud was not working either because the five files were added to a shared folder almost 13 weeks ago by a family member who didn't bother to tell me about them.  Now I look over at the DropBox icon in the system tray and there it was - the icon without the little blue circular arrow, indicating everything was up to date.  What??

2020-10-21_17-56-01.jpg

So, in a matter of less than 20 minutes all 78,182 files indexed and sync'd after OneDrive was removed from the system.  Coincidence??  I seriously doubt it.   Corrupted OneDrive install?  Maybe?  I don't know.   Since the Dropbox desktop app, and Adobe CC have returned to normal, and I do not want or need OneDrive, I have no intention of wasting any more time to find out why it caused the problems.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
THANK YOU for this series of messages! I have been struggling with the very same issues without any success. I will be removing OneDrive from my Windows 10 computer in the morning!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?