cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows client works differently than Mac client

Highlighted

Windows client works differently than Mac client

Explorer | Level 3

I pay for a Dropbox subscription.  I work with a group that does training, and I share one of my Dropbox folder out so that people can share documents they create as part of the training.  (We are NOT "collaborating" on individual documents, we are dropping documents in a folder for people to review and discuss).  I share it by specifying the email addresses of the people who can access it; they all have Dropbox accounts and this works pretty well for the small amount of documents we have (about 20 people, about 700 Word/PDF files, less than a gig of space).  This needs to be easy to do because not all of these people have a lot of experience working with the computer.  

The people who have Macs have their own Dropbox accounts and have installed the Dropbox app.  When they open the Dropbox folder on their Finder they see the folders from their own accounts, but they also see the shared folder that I own.  This allows them to create a document, then when they do File/Save from whatever app they can easily navigate to the shared folder and store their documents.

I have recently discovered that the Windows client doesn't work this way.  When the PC users go into Windows Explorer and open the Dropbox folder they see only their own files, they do not see the shared folder, so they can't save files directly from Word/PDF.  The person having the issue now has very poor computer skills and this has to be simple for him.  I have confirmed that the link to the shared folder works on his computer, but there's no way asking him to store documents on his laptop and manually copy/paste them to this share is going to work.  

Can anyone offer me any advice on a better way to do this with the PC?  I installed and reinstalled the client, no change.  Is there a way I could do some kind of custom synchronization to match files in a folder on his PC to a folder on Dropbox?

Thanks in advance for your help.  

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Windows client works differently than Mac client

Dropboxer

Hi @kevingolden, thanks for posting on the Community!

Most likely the shared folder has a character in it that is incompatible with Windows, such as a : or | symbol.

If this is the case, then the Dropbox desktop application can't sync it because Windows won't be able to load it in Explorer.

Let me know if this is the issue to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

I double-checked and there is nothing in this folder with invalid Windows names.  When I open the folder from Windows 10 using the shared link and access the files through the browser, I can open and see all the documents there.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @kevingolden.

The desktop app would be expected to work the same on a Mac computer and  Windows computer in terms of syncing.

Could you just clarify for me, for those not able to see the shared folder locally on their computer, can they see the folder in their account online?

If the folder was only shared through a shared link, then they would only be able to see the content through that link.

Otherwise, did you shared the folder with the steps outlined here to allow then edit access to the shared folder?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?