cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows defender picks up a hack tool from .dropboxcache - what is that?

Windows defender picks up a hack tool from .dropboxcache - what is that?

New member | Level 2

My Windows defender has been going off lately after spotting what it thinks is a Hacking tool: "HackTool:Win64/ProductKey.G!MSR" and it's always in my .dropbox cache\new_files.  It's happening every day.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Do I *actually* have a virus?  or is Windows Defender finding a false positive?

Screenshot 2020-12-07 103652.png

Thanks all,

Ian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows defender picks up a hack tool from .dropboxcache - what is that?

Super User II

@Jowelboy wrote:

"HackTool:Win64/ProductKey.G!MSR" and it's always in my .dropbox cache\new_files.

It's likely just a false positive. Although rare, it can happen on occasion due to the way files are stored in the cache. Best to add the .dropbox.cache folder to your antivirus exclusion list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Super User II

@Jowelboy wrote:

"HackTool:Win64/ProductKey.G!MSR" and it's always in my .dropbox cache\new_files.

It's likely just a false positive. Although rare, it can happen on occasion due to the way files are stored in the cache. Best to add the .dropbox.cache folder to your antivirus exclusion list.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Thanks for that.  I suspected that might be the case.

Appreciate your quick response.

Ian

New member | Level 2

I think it's better to use any other antivirus instead of Windows Defender. After reading McAfee live safe review at https:confused face:/antivirus-review.com/mcafee-review I've started using it and it has no conflicts with Dropbox because I often have the same issues with Windows Defender as you have. And adding to the exception list does not work in my case. And I have to do this after each update and it is annoying. 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?