cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows defender picks up a hack tool from .dropboxcache - what is that?

Windows defender picks up a hack tool from .dropboxcache - what is that?

Jowelboy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Windows defender has been going off lately after spotting what it thinks is a Hacking tool: "HackTool:Win64/ProductKey.G!MSR" and it's always in my .dropbox cache\new_files.  It's happening every day.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Do I *actually* have a virus?  or is Windows Defender finding a false positive?

Screenshot 2020-12-07 103652.png

Thanks all,

Ian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jowelboy wrote:

"HackTool:Win64/ProductKey.G!MSR" and it's always in my .dropbox cache\new_files.

It's likely just a false positive. Although rare, it can happen on occasion due to the way files are stored in the cache. Best to add the .dropbox.cache folder to your antivirus exclusion list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jowelboy wrote:

"HackTool:Win64/ProductKey.G!MSR" and it's always in my .dropbox cache\new_files.

It's likely just a false positive. Although rare, it can happen on occasion due to the way files are stored in the cache. Best to add the .dropbox.cache folder to your antivirus exclusion list.

Jowelboy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for that.  I suspected that might be the case.

Appreciate your quick response.

Ian

kennyvan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think it's better to use any other antivirus instead of Windows Defender. After reading McAfee live safe review at https://antivirus-review.com/mcafee-review I've started using it and it has no conflicts with Dropbox because I often have the same issues with Windows Defender as you have. And adding to the exception list does not work in my case. And I have to do this after each update and it is annoying. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kennyvan New member | Level 2
    Jowelboy New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?