cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows desktop shortcut keeps changing

Windows desktop shortcut keeps changing

kpkuk
New member | Level 2

Most strange. I find the quickest way to access my Dropbox folders in Windows is by having a shortcut on the desktop that just goes directly to the Dropbox top-level folder. So - I create that shortcut and it works just perfectly for a while.

But - after a reboot (I think it's just then), that shortcut gets replaced by a Dropbox shortcut that is linked to the Dropbox executable and I then get the Dropbox-specific folder window instead of the file explorer one. Why is this happening? Does Dropbox always insist on creating a desktop shortcut and mine is just being overridden?

Anyone know of a way around this?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @kpkuk, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

The thing is that manually created shortcuts for accessing either the Dropbox folder itself or files in the Dropbox folder do not work well with the Dropbox application.

If you'd like to be able to automatically open your Dropbox files in file explorer instead of the Dropbox application interface, you can follow the steps here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Cubicle23
Explorer | Level 4

Links Hannah pointed to have ZERO information on how to do what is requested. I suspect this is a automated bot reply to the question with the usual useless FAQ link

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Cubicle23 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?