cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows desktop shortcut keeps changing

Windows desktop shortcut keeps changing

kpkuk
New member | Level 2

Most strange. I find the quickest way to access my Dropbox folders in Windows is by having a shortcut on the desktop that just goes directly to the Dropbox top-level folder. So - I create that shortcut and it works just perfectly for a while.

But - after a reboot (I think it's just then), that shortcut gets replaced by a Dropbox shortcut that is linked to the Dropbox executable and I then get the Dropbox-specific folder window instead of the file explorer one. Why is this happening? Does Dropbox always insist on creating a desktop shortcut and mine is just being overridden?

Anyone know of a way around this?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Re: Windows desktop shortcut keeps changing

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @kpkuk, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

The thing is that manually created shortcuts for accessing either the Dropbox folder itself or files in the Dropbox folder do not work well with the Dropbox application.

If you'd like to be able to automatically open your Dropbox files in file explorer instead of the Dropbox application interface, you can follow the steps here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?