cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word and Excel files will not open

Word and Excel files will not open

TamarinCDS
New member | Level 2

I am having an issue when opening a saved Word/Excel document in Dropbox. It would usually open straight away, now Dropbox is telling me I need a commercial account for Microsoft Word etc?? this has not ever happened before. I have a current home subscription which has worked for over a year. This is for a business Dropbox account.

5 Replies 5

Re: Word and Excel files will not open

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @TamarinCDS, welcome aboard and thanks for using Dropbox!

Can you please clarify if you're doing this via our desktop app on your computer or maybe through a web browser on our website? 

If you could also include a screenshot of the exact error you're getting, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

PS: You can find more information about our Microsoft Office integrations here.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TamarinCDS
New member | Level 2

TamarinCDS_0-1619591277763.png

Here is my error that I am getting trying to open an excel file, happens as well for a word file, this has never happened before, I already have a current Microsoft subscription.

This is for the online web Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot @TamarinCDS!

Since you have a Dropbox Business account, note that you will need an enterprise Microsoft account with a license that allows editing in Office Online (Business, Business Premium, ProPlus, E3, E4, or E5).

That said, could you take a look at your account's Connected Apps tab and the Default Apps tab as well and let me know what options are shown there?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TamarinCDS
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your assistance, 

I have Microsoft Office Online as a connected App, I have also changed the Word and Excel to ' View in Dropbox' . I can see the documents now from Dropbox, but for the Excel document I am unable to edit this document. Usually this was a live document that all staff, there are about 12, can see and all edit if needed. I go to 'open' the excel for web and then I still get the error message that I need a different subscription?

I have received this error a moment ago, so not sure if there is a glitch with mu computer or the page?

TamarinCDS_0-1619593499703.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @TamarinCDS, this image appears to be an issue connecting to the Dropbox site, and not related to accessing the Excel doc.

Are you on a Dropbox Business team, as mentioned by my colleague? If so, then you'll need one of the indicated Office subscriptions in order to be able to edit the file.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    TamarinCDS New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?