cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word document reverted to previous version

Word document reverted to previous version

Explorer | Level 3

A word document I have been working on and saving in dropbox has inexplicably reverted to an older version.  The document was last edited and saved 17th December, but when I checked a few days later, is says it was last modified on 9th December, although I know that I had edited and saved the document successfully several times since then.  All the edits that I had made during those 8 days have been lost.  It has affected boioth the desktop and the web version - both have verted to the older version.

I've checked deleted folders and checked that the updated version wasn't moved elsewhere.

Can anyone help?

Sam

4 Replies 4

Re: Word document reverted to previous version

Dropboxer

Hi there @SamB1, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Can you check the version history of the file to see if you can restore the most recent version of the file from there?

Does it show there were edits made around the 17th in the version history?

Also, where were you editing the file from? Eg. through the website, or the desktop/mobile app.

Let me what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Daphne,
Thanks for your reply. I've already checked the version history, and the most recent version is still the 9th.
It's like all the saved edits from the last week have just been wiped.
I was making the edits on the desktop version (I very really use the Web version).
Sam

Dropboxer

In that case, was the desktop app running and syncing normally when you were working on that file @SamB1?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I had been opening the document from its desktop location in dropbox.  It is possible that I had temporarily paused syncing to dropbox.com at some point (I often have to do this when I also have programs such as Nvivo open and running on my machine as this tends to interfere with dropbox syncing to the web version), but pausing sync shouldn't (and never has in the past) affect my saving to the desktop version.  What I would often do is open up the document on dropbox desktop, save changes there and sync with the web version later.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?