cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Word document stripped when uploaded to Dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Does anyone know how to prevent -- and why -- Word documents from being stripped of their format when it is uploaded to Dropbox?  It simply becomes a "file" and is no longer a Word document.

Thank you,

Anne

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Word document stripped when uploaded to Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Then I think this is where the problem lies Anne. I think the other end, i.e. the one who's uploading those files, somehow omits the files' extension (file type) and that's why you need to rename them to be able to work on them normally.

To verify if this is indeed the case, please take a look at a sample file that's giving you this problem on our website. I guess the preview there won't work too until you add an extension to the file.

Keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Anya2 - how are you today?

I'm not sure I understand the matter at hand; could you please forward me two screenshots showing the same file and how it looks 1. on your device and 2. on Dropbox.com? 

Thanks in advance!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Good morning, Walter,

Thank you for your kind reply.  The Word document becomes a "file" literally.  It's a hassle to open it and save it again when it's downloaded as a Word document.

Please see #1 below, which is how the Word doc looks in Dropbox. #2 is how it looks when downloaded. #3 is after it has been saved as a Word doc again.

Thank you for your help!

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the useful screenshots Anne - they're most appreciated.

Can you please clarify how exactly are you uploading or downloading this file to your Dropbox account to begin with? Are you drag and dropping the mentioned file from your computer's hard drive into your Dropbox folder? 

If that's so, what's the desktop app reporting at the moment? To do this, please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

Thanks!

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi again, Walter,

Sorry, I am not the person who has uploaded the Word documents to Dropbox.  So I don't know how they are moving them there.  Once they have uploaded them to Dropbox they are no longer Word files...

Thank you,

Anne

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Then I think this is where the problem lies Anne. I think the other end, i.e. the one who's uploading those files, somehow omits the files' extension (file type) and that's why you need to rename them to be able to work on them normally.

To verify if this is indeed the case, please take a look at a sample file that's giving you this problem on our website. I guess the preview there won't work too until you add an extension to the file.

Keep me posted on your findings!

Walter

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?