cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word documents won't save to dropbox - goes back to 'Document 1'

Word documents won't save to dropbox - goes back to 'Document 1'

Carly B.
Explorer | Level 3

If I start a new Word document ("Document 1") and go to save it to a Dropbox folder with a new name ("The saved document"), the document window will have the new name across the top for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to 'Document 1'. The file will appear in the dropbox folder but it will be empty. Same thing happens saving other documents - I end up with empty docs. Sometimes it appears to work if I save it to another dropbox folder rather than the one I want to save it in, or perhaps it's just that it works after multiple attempts.  But I'm finding it's easier to not save to dropbox at all, but save to my local drive then copy and paste it over. It's annoying. I have no problem saving to OneDrive or to the C drive so it seems to be a dropbox issue. 

I have looked for solutions but can't find anything. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Word documents won't save to dropbox - goes back to 'Document 1'

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @Carly B., thanks for posting!

Can you please clarify if you're creating your documents directly in Word and then saving them to your Dropbox folder or are you creating them in the Dropbox folder?

If you open the docs through our website, what do you see?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Carly B.
Explorer | Level 3

I am creating directly in Word and then trying to save them in my dropbox folder. I haven't looked on the website folders for them, next time it happens I will have a look and see. 

Hannah
Dropboxer
Sounds good, Carly! I'd also try creating them directly in Dropbox, to see if there's a difference. 

If you ever need anything else, make sure to give us a shout!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Carly B.
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not sure what sounds good as I still can't save word documents to my dropbox folder on my computer which is the main reason I like dropbox.  I don't want to save to the dropbox website.  

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update, Carly!

What happens if you try to create a Word file directly from Dropbox (locally, not the website)?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Carly B. Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?