cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word file not saving on dropbox

Word file not saving on dropbox

New member | Level 2

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help me with this problem, it's happened a couple of times now on different files but both through MS word. I'll edit a file in word (not through the dropbox page) and then save before exiting. I'll be doing this either on my laptop or my PC, both of which are automatically synced when ever they are home and switched on.

When I change to the other platform (e.g. gone from the laptop to the PC or vice versa) to edit it again, none of my changes are there! I've looked at the version history and it'll say when I've edited it and what device I was using but that version is still the unedited one. The first time this happened, I was peeved but it wasn't that big a deal. Now that it's happened again, it's becoming frustrating! 

Anyone else with this problem? Also, is there a fix. Unfortunately i've only got the basic plan so I'm only able to go back 30 days.

8 Replies 8

Re: Word file not saving on dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey @Roxy S.1, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Let's see what we can find on this together. 

As a first step, could you please check what the Dropbox icons show on each computer when you hover over them? They should be next to your computer's clock on your system tray or menu bar

Could you also clarify if you close MS Word after you're done editing the file?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

I am having this same issue.  It seems to have started about a month ago.  Is there a solution?

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, I have lost files this way, I can change the name from d106 to cp106,  or to d106 a. Always the same error...cannot use special characters...  it has been going on for months- it is outrageous. You cannot name subsequently, I.e. c106, C106 a, C106 b and so on. 

@

Dropboxer

Hi there @jfinnegan & @GloriP; thanks for your reports. 

Can you please let us know the version of the desktop app you're using and the version of the MS Word app as well? 

If you could also share some screenshots, we'd appreciate it. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Microsoft Word 2016 (Office Professional Plus)

Dropbox v. 108.4.453

Dropboxer

Thanks for the quick response @jfinnegan; much appreciated.

Do you get any different results when you pause the syncing process or even completely closing our desktop app when working on your Word files? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

I will try those suggestions and let you know.  Thanks!

Explorer | Level 4

The issue appears to cease when exiting the desktop app.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?