Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Word files won't upload on my mac

Explorer | Level 3

The dropbox desktop app on my mac will no longer upload docx-files. The status says that dropbox is updated even though there is a red cross next to all docx-files. All other file types are uploaded as expected. Pausing and restarting sync a couple of times or restarting the machine will eventually solve the problem, but only until next time I save a docx-file from Word. I run Catalina 10.15.3 and Dropbox v91.4.548. The problem has persisted for at least a couple of weeks. 

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: Word files won't upload on my mac

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Huggebugg, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you hover over the Dropbox icon in the menu bar, could you forward a screenshot showing the error message you see there?

This will help me to investigate this further. Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Skjermbilde 2020-02-27 kl. 10.44.04.png

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Was this what you wanted?

There is no error message. Dropbox claims to be updated, but shows that the docx-files are only saved locally.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the images, could you try these steps as suggested by my colleague @Lusil to see if they help?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have tried that already, and I tried it again without success. The instructions are a bit misleading, by the way. On my mac, I have to first press the Disconnect this Dropbox-button, then cancel to get alt/option to give me the options to fix permissions and hardlinks. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

There shouldn’t be a need to disconnect the Dropbox account, since this would unlink the machine and thus not make a difference when fixing the permissions.

Just to check, holding the Alt button doesn’t show the Fix buttons on the Account page?

If the issue persists, try an advanced reinstall of the app using these steps.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

If I go to accounts and press Alt, nothing happens. If I press the disconnect dropbox-button and then cancel, pressing alt suddenly shows the fix permission-buttons. I found this advice somewhere else in the forum. Don't remember exactly where. I will try to reinstall the app.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

It looks like selective sync somehow was behind my troubles. After I turned off selective sync for all folders it looks like it's back to working as normal again. I still have a lot of files to redownload, so I am not sure yet, but it looks like docx-files are uploading normally again. Seems like a some sort of bug.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

No, the problem continued when syncing of all the former selective sync'd folders were finished. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?