cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Offline on Android Device Renaming Files on Computer - Old Filename Exists on Android Device

Working Offline on Android Device Renaming Files on Computer - Old Filename Exists on Android Device

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I am using Dropbox to syncronise a documents directory over to an Android device.

When I change a filename on the source computer, this filename change is reflected in the fact that the new filename appears on the android device.

The problem is that in the offline directory on the android device, the old filename still appears.

I thought that the old filename should be deleted.

So, I get the filename change, in so far as the new filename appears, but the old file still exists as a separate file.

I want the old file to be deleted. How can I change this?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Re: Working Offline on Android Device Renaming Files on Computer - Old Filename Exists on Android...

Dropboxer

Hi @Fred Bear; thanks for joining our Community! 

Could you let me know if this happens for a single file you sync from your computer or just a folder? 

While we're at it, have you ensured you're on the latest versions of your device's OS and our app's as well? 

If you'd be willing to give this a go, could you clear the app's cache and let me know if you get the same results again? 

Here's how to clear the app's cache on your Android device: 

1 Tap the menu icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
2. Select "Settings"
3. Select “Clear Cache”

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again.

Let me know how you get on, Fred. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Working Offline on Android Device Renaming Files on Computer - Old Filename Exists on Android...

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I did as you said ... "Empty Cache", restart device. Didn't help.

More information.

The directory where I am having the problem is very large, as in 12.5 gb and has around 8000 files in it. Not all in the same directory.

If I rename files in a directory where there was 153 files, and has a size of 29 meg, I did not have this problem (i.e., of the old filename hanging around).

This is not happening at a directory level, although I haven't tried renaming any directories just yet.

What is interesting is that if I make a change to the file, and the filename remains unchanged , the new file comes across. It is just that if I rename files, the new file will appear, and the old file stays there as well.

My computer is running Linux with the Dropbox client of 107.4.443. The version of Android that I am using is 10 on an Onyx Boox Max Lumi. The Android dropbox app is 208.2.6.

Thanks

Dropboxer

Hey @Fred Bear, does this also happen when you offline other files by any chance? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Well, I just told you in my previous reply that this is not occurring with other directories.

Where the problem DOES occur:

The directory with approximately 8000 files, and 12 gig in size.

Where the problem DOES NOT occur:

The directory with approximately 130 files, and 29 meg in size.

Dropboxer

So it might be coming down to the size of this specific file and/or how fast your connection to the internet is processing your edits, Fred. 

Do you get any different results on other networks or via cellular data? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I do not think this is the case. [i.e., talking of cellular data]

I am at home with cable internet, regular fast speeds, and wifi connection.

I think that this problem needs to be taken up with the people who write the Dropbox android client.

Remember, if I have a directory of approximately 100 meg in size, we a hundred or so files. No problems.

The larger (12gig) directory with approximately 8000 files, this is where the problem occurs.

I really think that this problem needs to be escalated to the people who manage the bugs for the Dropbox android client.

Explorer | Level 3

On Android I now use Dropsync.

The Dropbox client for Android does not work correctly.

I have none of these problems with Dropsync.

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop Fred. 

Can you please let me know if this persists on the latest version of our mobile app as well? 

Version 210.2.4 just came out a couple of days ago so it's worth a try at this point. 

In case the issue persists, let me know here, and I'll send you a ticket to the email address that's associated with your Community's profile to investigate further.

Thanks again! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?