cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You don’t have permission to create a link to this file

You don’t have permission to create a link to this file

Sek7oR
Explorer | Level 4

Hello there,

as the title says, i'm having an error message everytime i try to share a file by creating a link, "You don’t have permission to create a link to this file". This happens to every single file that i try to share (same thing for folders). This message only shows for a couple of seconds on the bottom of the page and there is goes away.

After when i check the Sharing page at the links tab i can see the links of the file i tried to share, but those links are not working, since when i open the link i'm getting an error message:

Error (429)

This link is temporarily disabled. The person who shared it hit their daily limit of traffic or downloads. Learn about traffic limits.

And i am pretty sure that i haven't hit any daily limit since i haven't used dropbox for a very long time.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or knows how to help?

71 Replies 71

Re: You don’t have permission to create a link to this file

Elixir
Super User

Hey @Sek7oR, have you shared large files in past via shared links? Even if you have not used Dropbox recently yourself, someone else might have used your shared links recently to download large data, and consumed the bandwidth. 

Sek7oR
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Elixir , and thanks for the reply!

I have used some shared links containing photographs, but never nothing too big and those links i have deleted them a long time ago. Generaly i don't have any active shared links in my account for a long time, so i don't think that this is the problem.

Elixir
Super User

That is strange! The error message indicates the link has been disabled, I believe the Dropbox bandwidth counter is accurate. Since, this a account specific issue, please log a support ticket (if you have not done already) - https://www.dropbox.com/support You can track progress here - http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Mark
Super User II
If you are getting a 429 error then something has flagged your account up to disable sharing (viruses, malware, DCMA takedowns etc. - false flags are possible, however).

The only way to get them removed is to contact support at www.dropbox.com/support which you can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sek7oR
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you all for your replys,

i've just opened a ticket about this problem to the dropbox support team. What i belive that has happened from what i read, is that my account is "locked" from sharing any kind of files for some reason. Hopefuly there is going to be solved and i will be able to use dropbox again normaly like i used to do in the past 🙂

Teknician
Helpful | Level 5

I'm having the same issue and it's been a month now, checking off and on. I don't have any large files and these are only shared on my Filelinked and nodoby has access to that ,but just a couple people. I'm sure it's not a bandwidth issue and I am the owner and Admin. 

Rich
Super User II

You need to contact Support directly.

opadarwin
New member | Level 2

i have similar issue..this issue can be solved when i go back to "my files" and share from there and the "You don’t have permission to create a link to this file" warning is gone and the link address will appear.I wish this could help

Enrique L.1
Explorer | Level 3

I had the same problem. I tried to share files and folders in different ways (from the Mac OS "Finder" folder, on dropbox.com, etc.) and none of them worked. Even worse, none of them even told me what the problem was.

UNTIL somewhere (I don't remember where) I finally came across a message that read something like:

"You have reached the maximum of shares for 24 hours. Try again tomorrow".

So I hope that's all! I'll check tomorrow. Hope this helps!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

xectra Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?