cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

You don't have permission to create link to this content.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm trying to create a dropbox link to a file, folder, shared folder where I'm the Owner  but keep getting this error "You don't have permission to create a link to this content"

I've always been able to share the dropbox link, so this is something completely new.

What should I do to fix it? 

97 Replies 97
Highlighted

Re: You don't have permission to create link to this content.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Americo1; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with sharing from your Dropbox account lately.

As such issues usually are account specific and I'd need a visual of your account's information to troubleshoot this more efficiently, I'd suggest taking this to email communication. For that reason, I found your existing ticket on our system and reached out through that so we can investigate further.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

You don’t have permission to create a link to this file.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am trying to create and share a link to a excel file. Upon trying to creat link no matter which way i get the this error message. No idea how to contac support either  as no emails addresses on their website.

Highlighted

Re: You don’t have permission to create a link to this file.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @designs2print; welcome to our Community!

Just an FYI here, Dropbox bans shared links when they're responsible for unusually large amounts of traffic, or when they violate the Acceptable Use Policy (for example, by hosting spam or malware). Learn more about banned links

That said, can you clarify if this is happening for only this specific file of yours and provide a screenshot of the exact error you get so I can have a look?

Thanks!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

I'm getting an error when trying to create a shared link. What can I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am trying to share a link to my public folder on a Mac OS Catalina computer.  When I try and copy link I receive the warning "Can not copy link. You don't have permission to create this content".  I tried it in the finder folder, the Dropbox App, and then on Dropbox.com.  On Dropbox.com I don't have any Links listed.  And I it will not let me create links. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox.  I tried to fix folder permissions using terminal (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder#permissions).

I am using Dropbox 94.4.384.  When I restarted Dropbox it synced.   I am the only user on this computer and I am an Admin.  I checked the permissios in the OS and I have read write access to all files and folders.

Please help.  I don't know how to create a support ticket. 

Highlighted

Re: I'm getting an error when trying to create a shared link. What can I do?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @MVanderhoff, I hope you're doing well today!

I've just moved your post here as it seems that you're getting the same error message as the OP.

To look into this further with you along with some account specific info, we'd need to continue via our Support channel.

I was able to locate your open ticket and I've just passed along your comments from here. A member of our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible regarding this, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

If there's anything else I can help with in the meantime, feel free to give me a nudge here.

Hope you have a great start to the week!

Daphne

Highlighted

I can't create shared links as I'm getting an error. Can you help?

Explorer | Level 3

Why I cant create the link for sharing? if i try to creat a link this error show.

"Something went wrong, and we weren't able to create a shared link."

Please help me.

Highlighted

I have an issue with creating shared links. Can you help?

Explorer | Level 4

Dear all,

I have an issue with creating links to files, which are stored on my dropbox account.
I have also tried to create a new folder to check whether it was an issue with the existing folders, but this doesn't work either.

About some weeks ago, I was able to share / create links. Does anyone of you has some guess? My assumption is an issue with my dropbox account!?

Thank you very much in adance and take care!

Best Regards

Highlighted

Sharing problem issue - "Couldn't copy link"

Explorer | Level 4

If I right-click on any file in my Dropbox folder on my computer and choose "Copy Dropbox link" I get a message "Couldn't copy link" - "You don't have permission to create a link to this content". If I try to share any file from dropbox.com, for some of them I am able to get a link and sometimes I get a message "There was a problem completing this request.". For some of them I am able to get "edit link" but no "view link". Besides that, links that I get for sharing are broken and no one could open it, except myself.

Highlighted

Re: I have an issue with creating shared links. Can you help?

Super User II
Super User II

What, exactly, is the issue you're having? You haven't described what's happening. Are you getting an error message? Is the option to create a link not there? We'll need details of the issue before we'll know how to best help you.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?