cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best practices for large restructuring and archival

best practices for large restructuring and archival

jls2
New member | Level 2

We have about 15 active users and 1.5 TB of data. We're planning to move old data to an archive folder and also restructure current data folders (everything is going to move). We don't have groups, and we're not adding them; it's free for all access.

I've seen questions like this asked before, but I haven't seen a step-by-step guide. We're thinking:

1) backup DB (good idea anyway)

2) ask everyone to stop syncing

3) make all desired changes at once using one computer with syncing paused, and then resume syncing on that computer.

3b) check DB structure online?

4) resume syncing on another computer and monitor syncing progress

5) let everyone resume syncing

Should it "just work?" If step 3 or step 4 ends up being syncing hell, should we revert using the backup? Any comments are appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Re: best practices for large restructuring and archival

Mark
Super User II

Hi @jls2 

That should work. Its certainly how I would do it. 

However, what I would say is that you probably need to warn people in between 4 and 5 (and 3 for the machine that is doing it!) that it will take time and they WILL get some worrying messages on screen - X has left the share, X has deleted this, Y has added this.... they need to just ignore it and it will fix itself. 

The other thing to just be cautious over is there may be a lot of data flying around devices between the cache and local directories so you may want to make sure people have enough space on their devices for this. Sorry cant put a size on it but make sure drives are not running out of space!

Finally the other thing is to make sure that people are not working on the files while you are doing 3 or the syncing is turned back on. 

What I'd say is people need to temporarily copy files out to their desktop of what they need/ want to work on while this is happening and then once everything is back to green ticks and syncing is finished replace the files in to Dropbox - doing it other ways may leave to conflicted copies. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?