cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I download files and folders from Dropbox to my computer?

Why can't I download files and folders from Dropbox to my computer?

Wayne P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am new!

this system as presently experienced is worthless ---so it can't be right? Can't download any folder or file unless through email

1)don't you have simple step by step instructions to download entire folder or pic without going through email
2)once email pic is received, there is no way to down load it --only drag to desktop giving an unacceptable file of 160kb per pic

where do i find instructions?

46 Replies 46

Kip K.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had to have my laptop reformatted and a fresh copy Windows 10 had to be installed. I'm in the process of wanting to populate my data. (obviously, it cannot be sync to my computer)

How can I download two large folders, one at a time, onto my drive?

HyukJae Henry Y
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Greetings,

I believe this goes beyond a small technical nuisance.

If you do not take care of this "small' problem, I am afraid that Dropbox is no longer relevant to cloud computing, at least for me and others who work with large files.

Like many people, I have very little room on the drive on my computer which the Dropbox can sync to.

On my Dropbox cloud, there are a series of folders which contain photos, videos, and documents with graphics which are all large in size. They are project files which need to be intermittently downloaded to be worked on for clients. These folders are cannot be constantly synced with the drive on my computer due to the fact that I do not have such room on my computers, but nevertheless need to be downloaded from time to time in order to work with them.

No longer having the download option available means that I no longer have the means to work with these files.

At this point, in order to have viable working access to these files, I need to re-format the drives on my computers to free up the amount of room as large as the folders(which is costly and probably impossible due to the size required), and then sync the folders to have Dropbox allow the files to be present and accessed locally on my computer.  Since I need to work on them in more than one location, I will need to do this to every computer I am using, including my laptops.  It will be difficult or impossible to even purchase hard drives large enough to contain these files for most of the computers I work with.

What does this mean?  This means that any large set of files that I need to work with cannot be present within the Dropbox ecosystem.  

This is not a workable system.  It's not cloud computing in any reasonable sense.

Dropbox folks, if you are listening, do you realize this problem?  Whether you do or not, we need a solution to this problem other than your simplistic answer to sync the files.  Syncing the files as the only way to have access them locally is not a viable or relevant alternative for me or anyone who works with large files. 

I realize that you may have the motivation to limit the amount of storage space your users are taking up on your cloud, as it ends up costing you more.  And by not providing the download option, you are forcing the users to no longer put large files on Dropbox.  If you charge a premium for the download ability feature, I will gladly consider it. Personally, I think that the Pro account should allow download capability. 

And by not providing the download option, you are forcing the users to no longer put large files on Dropbox.  

If you have to charge a premium to have the download ability feature, I will gladly consider it. Personally, I think that the Pro account should allow download capability.  If you pay for more storage space, shouldn't it also have the option for having workable access to the files?    

Please provide an answer and a solution to this non-trivial problem.  

Sincerely,

HHY

azian m.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same here, I cannot download my own  Word file form dropbox into my computer. Helpppppp?

Rod W.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why hasn't dropbox answered this question

The option used to be there

I will consider cancelling dropbox and moving to icloud or google etc so that I can work with this idea as I do it when going to clients to save carrying files or large files

Having the mirror of dropbox on PC is just crap - that's not the way I want to work

So bloody frustrating!!!!!

If no answer I cancel account and leave this month and also tell others

jeffinlodi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
The goal of Dropbox is to get people to buy more space; functionality is not an issue for them. I've never seen a more complicated method of sharing files. They don't wish it to be a functional tool, but solely a personal storage device.

I can't share files with people, because I have an account with more capacity. If my friends don't have adequate capacity, they can't download the file, because it exceeds THEIR capacity. That is ridiculous. I've complained to Dropbox about this several times, and after telling me they 'thank me for me feedback', they don't give a **bleep**.

They want to force you to use the 'client' so you then need to upgrade your capacity. This is not a flaw, it's their goal.

Terence W.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
But they are older version on one computer versus another - and if you wan to download a file quickly versus going through the pain of syncing then there is no option. Useless. How on earth is losing "Download" a good idea? Imagine - the most basic function plus there is the issue that certain file types cannot be opened by dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Download is still there Terence. Simply press the button that says 'Download' or, if necessary the [...] and THEN download.

If you see open then what is happening is Dropbox KNOWS that file is available on your computer and so it is saying 'we will open it locally for you' or 'via the website'

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Frank F.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have been a Dropbox user for many years. But this issue reminds me of why I left Hightail for Dropbox. It seems functionality that I got used to kept being chipped away. I KNOW THE FILES ARE ON MY COMPUTER, but there are times I need a simple DOWNLOAD option for reasons enumerated in these posts. What is the problem?

We used to have it. And I get the download option when I select multiple files, but THERE IS NO OPTION AVAILABLE if I simply select one file or folder to download! Why can I download two or more selcted files, BUT NOT ONE??? It makes no sense and is frustrating enough that after nearly ten years with Dropbox, I'm looking for something else.

I don't need to hear why you folks at Dropbox feel this is the proper way to work. I work the way I work, and if you can't fix this, then I'll find someone who can.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Frank.

You can. The option is there and has never been removed - in fact its been made clearer.

On the website click the white space next to the file name so it highlights (as you would do to select multiple file) and then on the right hand side a big Download button appears.

Or, as I said above, if you are in a preview of the file click on [...] and select 'Download'.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Frank F.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. When I left click or right click on the white space either before or after the file name, no option for download appears.

If I select 2 files, I get a download option. If I select one file or folder, there is NO DOWNLOAD option, no matter where I click.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lulu4 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    trevor42 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?