cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I download files and folders from Dropbox to my computer?

Why can't I download files and folders from Dropbox to my computer?

Wayne P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am new!

this system as presently experienced is worthless ---so it can't be right? Can't download any folder or file unless through email

1)don't you have simple step by step instructions to download entire folder or pic without going through email
2)once email pic is received, there is no way to down load it --only drag to desktop giving an unacceptable file of 160kb per pic

where do i find instructions?

46 Replies 46

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Something is wrong with the browser then..... have you tried a different one? Maybe try incognito mode. Its a left click right next to the file name (same as you'd press for two files).

Also, remember though as I said you can preview the files and open that way.

If highlighting one isnt working to get a download could you post a screen shot of that (or a link to it in your folders?)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Frank F.13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The DOWNLOAD option does appear in Safari, but NOT in Chrome. As Chrome is my default browser I would really like to have the option there as well.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The issue is, I'm afraid local to your machine then Frank - as I use Chrome and it works fine.

Checked you are on the latest version? Made sure you have no ad-blockers etc. installed? Cleared cache and cookies?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Korky K.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Mark - Dropbox only downloads to your downloads folder. That's just fricken stupid. I have a shared folder that someone loaded a large file to. The file is bigger than I have space on my computer. However, I have an external hard drive that has more than enough space. WHY does dropbox insist on downloading ONLY to "DOWNLOADS"? Why can't I select a file destination?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Korky K. ,

Thanks for reaching out!

The "Downloads" folder is a default one where all the downloads you initiate from your browser go to. This is specific to your browser (and computer) settings and is not related to Dropbox. 

There are ways to change the default location of your (browser's) downloads depending on the one you use and you should be able to find more about how to do this using a web search. The option to change this can usually be found in your browser's preferences or advanced settings. 

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dianne_hodnett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. Not new to DB or computers. I messed around with the default setting in my browser and it didn't make any difference. Still can't download anything due to DropBox error.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @dianne_hodnett - does this persists across multiple browsers and after clearing your cache? Could you provide us with a screenshot of the exact error message you get so we can have a further look into this?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

BWilks
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've had trouble using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer, forwarded link to my laptop which has Microsoft Edge and no problems downloading. This problem has just occurred with me in the last month. When I click to download a folder the options to download direct or download to dropbox sometimes flash up briefly then disappear.

FishKiwiYak
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem. 

Really? dropbox? no download option for a file inside of a folder?

Only i see and  option to download in the main folder, but if i go inside. No option for download....

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey peeps, sorry for the late reply here!

@BWilks, if you're still having this issue with Internet Explorer, can you please try clearing the cache in the browser? Also, if this doesn’t help, please try using an incognito window to see if any of the browser extensions are blocking the action.

@FishKiwiYak, you can download individual files or a selection of files from the Dropbox website by selecting them (checking the small tick box to the left of the file names). From there you will see the option to Download from the right of the web page. If you’re unable to see this option, please try a different browser or incognito/private window.

Let me know if you’re still experiencing these issues - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lulu4 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    trevor42 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?