cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot copy files onto dropbox on my computer; need administrator privileges

cannot copy files onto dropbox on my computer; need administrator privileges

jsramos
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Capture_permission_to_copy_to_dropbox.jpgI cannot copy files from my computer desktop to Dropbox; get message that administrator privileges are needed.  However, I am administrator of my computer and my Dropbox.  See attachment

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @jsramos! Initially, please note that I’ve gone ahead and removed some info from your screenshot for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your concern, please bear in mind that in general the message "Access Denied" means the Dropbox desktop client is unable to access the location to sync your files. 

For this reason and as a first step, can you please check that you don't have any applications open that may be writing to that location?

If the problem persists, could you try temporarily disabling any security or antivirus software that you may have running, as they may be preventing Dropbox from syncing correctly. Please remember that if the issue goes away while you have the antivirus off this means you most likely need to add Dropbox to your list of trusted programs to allow it to work correctly.

Another possible cause worth checking in case the issue isn’t resolved would be your local network sharing or folder redirection preferences setup. Similar effects can also happen when your Dropbox folder or its system files are located in a mounted network drive or a remote location (for example, roaming profiles) since this could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations.

Hope this helped to some extent. Do keep me posted on any updates! :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @jsramos! Initially, please note that I’ve gone ahead and removed some info from your screenshot for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your concern, please bear in mind that in general the message "Access Denied" means the Dropbox desktop client is unable to access the location to sync your files. 

For this reason and as a first step, can you please check that you don't have any applications open that may be writing to that location?

If the problem persists, could you try temporarily disabling any security or antivirus software that you may have running, as they may be preventing Dropbox from syncing correctly. Please remember that if the issue goes away while you have the antivirus off this means you most likely need to add Dropbox to your list of trusted programs to allow it to work correctly.

Another possible cause worth checking in case the issue isn’t resolved would be your local network sharing or folder redirection preferences setup. Similar effects can also happen when your Dropbox folder or its system files are located in a mounted network drive or a remote location (for example, roaming profiles) since this could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations.

Hope this helped to some extent. Do keep me posted on any updates! :nerd:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

wdstoner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is why I hate dropbox.  I just want my files, which are physically on my computer, to be copied to another folder and it says I don't have permission.  But I do, I am the only user and only administrator on my computer.  It wont let me delete the folder either!  They are my files, my computer, and I don't even use dropbox anymore.  I turned off all firewalls and antivirus, still doesn't work.  I tried making the files "full access" to "everyone" but the changes don't stick for some reason.  There are no processes using these files.  

I CANT DELETE THE FILES EITHER!  

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wdstoner, thanks for nudging us here!

Could you try the following steps to reset the folder permissions on your computer?

1. Right-click on the folder in question.
  2. Select Properties from the pop-up menu.
  3. On the Security tab, choose your user name in the list and edit the permissions so that you have full control of the folder.
  4. Also on the Security tab, click Advanced and select the option to Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent as well as Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    wdstoner New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?