cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot recover deleted files

cannot recover deleted files

Explorer | Level 3

We suffered an attack and someone deleted all the files on one of our PCs which was synchronized with DropBox.
No PCs are synchronized with DropBox any longer (I have unlinked all linked PCs).
When I try to restore the deleted files DropBox shows only a handful of files while there should be several folders and several thousand files for some 100Gb or so.
I cannot find a link to the event, clicking on the link above in the support page none show, could be it be because I have unlinked all devices ?
Rewind offers no previous "versions" of the DropBox (no activity recorded).
It looks like not only the files were deleted but the whole history, too- how is that possible ?
Thank you for you help if anything can be done.

7 Replies 7

Re: cannot recover deleted files

Dropboxer

Hi @ndar; thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear about this. 

Can you please clarify how long has it been since this happened? 

Also, can you find anything related to your missing files in your events page? This is the place where all uploads, edits and deletions are normally logged so it should give you a hint. 

In any case, please keep me posted. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

the ischevious delete took place around 10pm paris time yesterday, Monday Ocotber 12th.  I watched it happen as i was working on my laptop while on business travel as my laptop, too, was synchronised on DropBox.  It is now disconencted pending clean up at the office.

The events list is empty, very empty.

Of the approx. 1 Tb of data only 3 files were left, interestingly these were not inside a folder, they were in the root of the DropBox.

Dropboxer

In that case, I'd suggest contacting our support team so we can investigate further with account specific information @ndar.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask in the meantime. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

thank you but I am stuck with contacting support because I cannot refer to an event and I cannot validate my mail unless I do that - all events have been deleted, too

any chance you may aks support to open a ticket whichIcan then reply to ?

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @ndar.

I'll be happy to open a ticket for you to investigate this further.

To do so, may I use the email address that's associated with your Community's profile? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

thank you

yes you may use the email address that's associated with our Community's profile to open the ticket, please.

Dropboxer

Thanks @ndar; you've got mail  

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?