cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

commenting on a file with someone doesn't have a dropbox account

commenting on a file with someone doesn't have a dropbox account

GuyCoops
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I want to be able to send a link to a file on my dropbox to someone who doesn't have a dropbox account.

when i do, they can view the file but they don't seem to have the ability to add comments.

I have comments turned on in the admin console as my team and i use the feature all the time

I assume this means that people who don't have a dropbox account are not allowed to make comments? is this correct?

if so, its very annoying as i would like my clients to be able to comment on files i have preapred but not have to sign up to the dropbox service to do so. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @GuyCoops 

It's currently not possible for a signed-out user to leave a comment on a Dropbox file. Signed out users may see the comment pane, but attempting to leave a comment will result in a prompt to sign-in or create an account. 

What may be occuring here is that comments have been disabled for that file. Whilst on the file preview page, can you click on the ellipsis (the "..." button beside "download") and see if there is an option to "enable comments"?

Frank

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Not applicable
Go to solution

@GuyCoops non-Dropboxers should be able to comment on files as long as Commenting is turned in Admin Console > Settings (as you mentioned). If I make sure that Anyone can view a link I created, it mentions that anyone can comment. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.25.39 PM.png

When I view the link in Private Window, I can view the PDF and comment on it without being signed in. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.26.14 PM.png

Can you test the same?

GuyCoops
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

hi @anonymous thanks for your message. yes i had tried that but for some reason commenting doesn't appear available for me.

i tried in Chrome and Safari private windows with no success:

Screenshot 2019-04-14 08.38.23.png

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @GuyCoops 

It's currently not possible for a signed-out user to leave a comment on a Dropbox file. Signed out users may see the comment pane, but attempting to leave a comment will result in a prompt to sign-in or create an account. 

What may be occuring here is that comments have been disabled for that file. Whilst on the file preview page, can you click on the ellipsis (the "..." button beside "download") and see if there is an option to "enable comments"?

Frank

GuyCoops
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Frank_S 

thanks for your reply. I have checked and the comments are definitely enabled for this file (see screenshot below). seems like some sort of bug. 

regardless of the issue you have answered my question which sounds like you have to have a dropbox account to comment on a file - thanks for your help. 

Screenshot 2019-04-16 16.48.27.png

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to Ask help from the Community here.]

bigfiles
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I want to put some photos on dropbox and send an album link to someone and allow them to add comments to the photos without having to login to anything.

When I select the album (folder) and select share, I can either invite via email, or share a link instead. I tried both. Both methods require login. With email  method, the recipient is asked to login to gmail. With the share a link method, the share is hard coded to link for viewing only and cannot be changed. The recipient with the link is asked to login to dropbox.

What is the solution?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Happy Friday @bigfiles, I hope you're doing well!

Users who are signed out can see the comment pane, but they will be prompted to sign in or create an account if they try to submit a comment.

However, to focus purely on the sharing side. When you share a link with someone, they should be able to view the content (and download it) without having to sign into an account. 

I hope this clarifies things.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    bigfiles Explorer | Level 4
    GuyCoops Explorer | Level 3
    Frank_S Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?