cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

confused about sharing folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My wife and I both have basic Dropbox accounts, each with our own acct names etc. When she tries to "share" a folder with her friends, it always seems to come from my account, not hers. And when her friends write back with questions about it (like they are having trouble opening it), they go to my email, not hers. Any advice as to what I have done incorrectly would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: confused about sharing folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @drcam, I hope you're well today!

It sounds like your wife might be signed into your account when trying to share the folder. Can she check which account is signed in with the steps listed here?

Also, can you let me know where she is trying to share the folder from? Eg. via the website or the desktop app.

If she is mistakenly signed into your account, then she will need to log out and sign into her own account.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My wife is logging in with her own account, and she is logging in with Dropbox.com (not the tab that says "Dropbox folder".) 

The only thing I can see different in the way our accounts are set up is that if I go to the box at the lower right, with the blue banner (For You / Recents / Personalization) and I click on my account name off to the right with my pic, I get the Preference option, which gives me "General/Account/Import" etc. Under the Account tab, I get the option to "unlink this Dropbox". I don't even know what I am linking to. Might this have anything to do with why her "shares" seem to come from my account? 

Again, thanks for your assistance. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @drcam!

What you're describing there is the desktop app settings, and your account is linked with the app rather than another account.

Can you let me know exactly how you each access your accounts? Do you use separate computers with the desktop app installed on each device?

If you're using different devices, can you follow the steps below and let me know if you see the correct email addresses linked there:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?