cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

datbase executable programs

Explorer | Level 3

I installed a (since years working) database program (f.e. xxx.exe) in a map on dropbox. When I execute the program in Dropbox, it does'nt find the first called dbf (database) and give an error message.

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: datbase executable programs

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @quido, thanks for reaching out to us here!

In general, we don't recommend syncing live databases with Dropbox as there can be many issues caused by this, which you can check out a bit more about here.

Having said that, can you let me know a little more about the error that you're getting? A screenshot (excluding any personal info) would be helpful.

If you try pause syncing, do you still get the error message?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

xbase programs

Explorer | Level 3

In the earlier version of dropbox (a month ago) my own made xbase(fivetech) windows ...exe program could function on dropbox. In de new version it do not function any more??? The exe program do not find any more the databases linked.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Pause syncing is not a solution. As I sayd earlier, I had no problems with the same program in the earlier version of Dropbox, ca. a month ago...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @quido!

This is just a troubleshooting step to see if there will be any change in the behaviour. If you try this, do you still get the same error?

Also, I'm assuming that the databases that are being accessed are also within the Dropbox folder, is that right?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The databases are of course within the same folder of the exe

I do not understand what I have to try...

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Apologies if I wasn't clear @quido!

Are you still getting the error message when syncing is paused? I wasn't sure from your previous reply.

If you are still getting the error, can you please close the desktop app and try executing the program again. You can close the app by: 

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox"

Also, please send a screenshot of the error message.

Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I quit dropbox like you said

I try to send you a screenshot of the error message

Schermafdruk 2020-02-13 16.46.01.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @quido!

Do you still get the error message when the the app is closed? I can see from your screenshot that the desktop app appears to still be running.

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have no problem when I use the dropbox map in the explorer column (the column with the maps download, desktop, documents... but what is the difference between using the content of this dropbox map and using dropbox via the dropbox shortcut. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?