cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete a folder

delete a folder

hilconsult
New member | Level 2

Hello, please help!

Dropbox system has created a folder named My PC with subfolders desktop, documents and downloads (is it for synchronization?). I want do delete this folders but they have no option to do this. How to delete it and stop synchronization?

Thanks for help!

2 Replies 2

Re: delete a folder

Rich
Super User II

@hilconsult wrote:

Dropbox system has created a folder named My PC with subfolders desktop, documents and downloads (is it for synchronization?).

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

Re: delete a folder

ZAGG
Helpful | Level 6

Go to Preferences->Backups and you can control which folders on your computer Dropbox is able to spy on.

This feature should be 100% opt-in and not be enabled by default. Unfortunately we live in the age of data collection and the responsibility to protect our own devices falls to ourselves as individuals.

From the help page:

To turn off computer backup:

1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Backups tab.
  3. Click Manage backup
  4. Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or uncheck My Mac/My PC to turn off backup for all folders at once. 
  5. Click Save.
  6. Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac or Leave content in Dropbox.
    • If you choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac, the files and folders you stopped backing up can be found in their original folders on your computer. 
    • If you choose Leave content in Dropbox, new files you add to those folders will save to their original folders on your computer, but the files and folders you previously backed up to Dropbox with computer backup will remain in your Dropbox account. On your computer, they’ll be accessible by shortcuts, in their original folders, called “My files in Dropbox”. 
      • Note: If you see Set Up instead, it means computer backup is already off.
  7. Click Stop backup.
  8. Click Close.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ZAGG Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?