cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete from dropbox but not my computer

delete from dropbox but not my computer

reagananthony78
Explorer | Level 3

I have installed Dropbox for a very specific purpose. During install all of my personal files have moved to dropbox. I did not intend for this and now all the space is taken up. I have read many many directions of reversing this. I have stopped auto back and selected the files to stay on my PC. I got several messages that files were still left in dropbox. I need them out. I did not want them synced. I need this spaced cleared up asap so I can do my work. 

3 Replies 3

Re: delete from dropbox but not my computer

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @reagananthony78; welcome to the Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the desktop app on your computer.

Could you please confirm that you followed these steps to disable it?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

reagananthony78
Explorer | Level 3
Yes I followed those steps to unhook. Several of my files said they did not completely "unhook". This is the bulk of what was downloaded. If I go back into backup the only option I see it to set up a sync again. I'm not sure that makes sense but basically Dropbox is still holding my files hostage so I can't delete them from Dropbox without deleting them fromy computer. Also if I try to access them from the original file location I get an error box saying they have been moved.

Walter
Dropboxer
In that case, could you try restoring your file-paths with these steps?

Let me know how it goes @reagananthony78!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?