cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleted dropbox folder on my computer - most files not synced got lost

deleted dropbox folder on my computer - most files not synced got lost

Sam-
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I wanted to get rid of dropbox and deleted its folder on my computer [I thought my documents in that folder were copies of the original ones]. Most files were not synced with dropbox [I unsynced them two days ago] and got lost. I managed to get back only the ones that were synced. Some of those documents were not backed up anywhere else. Who can help me?

5 Replies 5

Re: deleted dropbox folder on my computer - most files not synced got lost

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Sam-, thanks for messaging the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. 

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. 

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sam-
Explorer | Level 3
Hello Jay,
Thank you for your reply. All documents from my computer got deleted, too many files to end up in the bin. Everything was still synced only yesterday, it is bound to be somewhere on your servers. Why were all my documents in the Dropbox folder if I did not put them there and I was not made aware of the fact that they are not where they were supposed to be? I lost documents which I urgently need.
Best regards,

Sam

Jay
Dropboxer
If you enabled the computer backup feature, then the system folders you selected would've been moved to the Dropbox folder. The files would then sync to the site.

However, if the account was overquota, then then syncing would stop, and there wouldn't be any record of those files on the site in order to recover them.

Since you deleted the folder from your computer directly, are you able to locate any of the missing files from the recycle bin on the machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sam-
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I has been quite a while since I lost most of my documents "thanks" to Dropbox and the rest of them is such a mess that it will take me long time to manually tidy it up.

I have disactivated the backup but all "my computer" is still in Dropbox and I cannot find out how to completely get rid of it once and for all without destroying anything else. I would like to do it asap. 

I wil be grateful for instructions.
best regards,

Sam

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Sam-, if the computer backup feature has been disabled, you can restore the default location of your folders by following these steps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Sam- Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?