cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Something very weird just happened with my dropbox account. Out of nowhere, a folder which was deletec about 2 years ago re appeared on my dropbox. It has the files as they were, which makes me wonder why the hell dropbox is still keeping these files after a few years that they have been deleted?

First I thought it was a hack, but then I checked all my devices and what was accessing my account and indeed, everything was as it was before.

It makes me think this is a serious bug and on another note, why the hell is dropbox keeping data that was deleted 2 years ago?

I'll surprised, scared and angry at the same time. I'm not even sure where to begin! I'm now wondering about several of my clients that use dropbox in their business if the same happens.

116 Replies 116

KSeattle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We had the same issue, and file organization completely wackadoo.  That's my technical term for the day. 🙂

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@A788286432 wrote:

I'm actually having this exact issue: files I deleted about 5 to 6 years ago are appearing back in my Dropbox. When I go to view their prior history, I get an error and it says none is available. Can someone please contact me about this? Thank you. 

Sure!

I'll email you now and follow up that way.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@A788286432 wrote:

I just received an automated email from Dropbox Support outlining that the issue can be resolved using their self-serve help tools on the website. Furthermore, they then closed the help ticket. It's actually kind of insulting that the help request was even flagged for something like this, rather than reviewed by a human. What recourse do we have to obtain assistance on this? Do I have to spam Twitter with help messages? 

Hi,

Appologies for that, I'm looking into this right now.

Many thanks.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting the issues, appologies for any inconvience, I'm looking into this for you all right now. I'll either write to each of you individually or update the thread here.

Many thanks in advance!

Jgigli2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks Ross. Please include me in your update if you update individually. This issue is very concerning.

Joseph L.7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too have this issue and would like a response to resolve and learn why it happend.

A788286432
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Another important thing to note is that the space utilization is completely off after the bizarre restoration of these files. For instance, my account space reads 0% utilization after removing these old files; therefore, I can't tell if my current files are securily accessible through my Dropbox, because it says I'm not using any space (even though they're present). This is pretty crazy stuff. 

EC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for looking into this. I have the same issue. Waiting for your reply. 

slickman84
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this issue as well.  Old folders from years ago reappeared today.

berndb
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

And the same here. Folders from 2010/11 are back again. As far as I can see no current files are deleted or changed - just old folders reappearing.

Need more support?