cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Something very weird just happened with my dropbox account. Out of nowhere, a folder which was deletec about 2 years ago re appeared on my dropbox. It has the files as they were, which makes me wonder why the hell dropbox is still keeping these files after a few years that they have been deleted?

First I thought it was a hack, but then I checked all my devices and what was accessing my account and indeed, everything was as it was before.

It makes me think this is a serious bug and on another note, why the hell is dropbox keeping data that was deleted 2 years ago?

I'll surprised, scared and angry at the same time. I'm not even sure where to begin! I'm now wondering about several of my clients that use dropbox in their business if the same happens.

116 Replies 116

alex999
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So the reply I've had from Dropbox support is that simply I must have had an old computer reconnect and that revived the files. But this makes no sense. I had already checked which devices are linked and I only had either old, inactive ones (now removed) or the few I use all the time (and are uptodate). Their explaination also does not fit with so many of us experienceing the same problem. I'm wondering if THEY reconnected something old....

Anyway I'm worried about the integrity of my files and really not happy with that reply. 

Andrew C.39
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Oh boy; if they don't give us a better answer than that, I'll be cancelling.

There are so many issues with that response:

1) how has this suddenly happened to so many of us? Did Russia raid our discarded computers and reconnect to Dropbox just to confuse us?

2) furthermore, in my activity log, there's no record of my computers coming back online or anything of the sort. I frequently change my password and revoke access on devices I'm no longer using. Plus I have 2FA enabled.

So which is it, Dropbox? Do we have zombie computers coming back online and your activity logs aren't working, or is it possible there's an issue on your end?

The radio silence is infuriating.

unclechichi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have emailed Dropbox Support and Tweeted to them as well.  Their reply has been less than helpful, basically saying that it's a problem on my end.  Untrue as this same issue is affecting so many of their users.  I have responded and am currently waiting to hear back.  Not a happy camper, for sure.

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@alex999 wrote:

So the reply I've had from Dropbox support is that simply I must have had an old computer reconnect and that revived the files. But this makes no sense. I had already checked which devices are linked and I only had either old, inactive ones (now removed) or the few I use all the time (and are uptodate). Their explaination also does not fit with so many of us experienceing the same problem. I'm wondering if THEY reconnected something old....

Anyway I'm worried about the integrity of my files and really not happy with that reply. 

that is utterly bull**bleep**!

I've no computers added/removed/linked with my dropbox account, it just happened out of the blue!

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@unclechichi wrote:

I have emailed Dropbox Support and Tweeted to them as well.  Their reply has been less than helpful, basically saying that it's a problem on my end.  Untrue as this same issue is affecting so many of their users.  I have responded and am currently waiting to hear back.  Not a happy camper, for sure.

another bull**bleep** reply from dropbox, evidence here everyoine started having this problems yesterday morning around 10AM GMT time

EricBean
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

1/19/17 - I just went to save a file to my account and I had old folders suddenly reappear and one major one is now gone.  I know this because the folders were those I set up on a project some 8 years ago.  My folder structure looks like a mess now and it was tidy just yesterday.  More alarming is one important folder is entirely gone!  I checked the history and nothing out of the norm shows up but what a mess they have now caused.  And I was looking at switching to a business account - ah, not after this.

Kai B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Old folders reappear here at our office on two out of five computers.

jmwatson84
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue, I just had folders sync up from years ago.  No account activity, checked computer access and no unknown or old computers could have possibly done this.  The folders were added yesterday around 8:30 CST.  

billk86
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Several folders that were deleted years ago appeared in my main Dropbox folder yesterday.  Should I be worried about this?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

billk86 wrote:

Several folders that were deleted years ago appeared in my main Dropbox folder yesterday.  Should I be worried about this?

Merging your post into the main discussion for this issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ed Dropbox Staff
    BackMeUp Helpful | Level 5
    jduffeytx Explorer | Level 3
    feklee Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?