cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Something very weird just happened with my dropbox account. Out of nowhere, a folder which was deletec about 2 years ago re appeared on my dropbox. It has the files as they were, which makes me wonder why the hell dropbox is still keeping these files after a few years that they have been deleted?

First I thought it was a hack, but then I checked all my devices and what was accessing my account and indeed, everything was as it was before.

It makes me think this is a serious bug and on another note, why the hell is dropbox keeping data that was deleted 2 years ago?

I'll surprised, scared and angry at the same time. I'm not even sure where to begin! I'm now wondering about several of my clients that use dropbox in their business if the same happens.

116 Replies 116

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

thanar wrote:
Dropbox is supposed to be erasing forever deleted files that's older than 30 days on a few account. Where did all this data come from?

That has already been addressed in this thread. On this very page, in fact...

lem86
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am still seeing them - not sure how long the fix will take to be implemented?

Michael G.23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ross,

I have the same question asked by:

Friday

Ross, thanks for this. One thing, its unclear how to identify all those files that have reappeared. There are obvious top level folders that have reappeared, but how do I find files that may have reappeared somewhere inside a valid top level folder (that is a folders that was correctly in my dropbox just before the bug) if I have 100Ks of valid files and folders in my dropbox?

Can you give some more guidance on how to identify them? Or does this bug only put these reappearing files and folders at the top level of my dropbox?

jonny1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This happened to me too. All of a sudden a really old (at that time shared with another account) folder reappeared. From 2011 circa. Several gigabytes.

Lily
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On Jan 17 some old files spontaneously appeared in my recents folder. These were audio files. We have shared access with my husband. None of us opened these files for the last two years. How is it possible? I have checked the security and events log. Looks like we were not hacked. Today another surprise. We found two videos recorded years ago in the recents folder again. None of us opened these files again. Does this have anything to do with this bug fix that restored deleted files?

scrglblprvcy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

**bleep** .. You keep files for an extra 60 day after deletion!

Did the NSA ask you to do that?

Markus K.6
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same here. I am seeing some old folders and cannot delete them. 

Moreover, if I use the API's list_folder endpoint with the include_deleted option I see a lot of files and folders that have been permanently delete years ago. 

Why are they still there? I can't believe that so many files and folders have metadata inconsistencies. 

souravmishra
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Ross,

We are glad Dropbox patched this problem. I have two short queries and hoping that you can reply.

I am sure some serious users may be having these questions on their minds too.

1. For people having lots of folders, how to ensure that all the "un-dead" files & folders are purged. Right now the events section does not tell me any details if anything popped up.

2. Has Dropbox ensured that previous versions of the file were not accidentally restored over legitimate files in their most recent versions.

The second question is more relevant since we have maybe worked on many files over the months & years and updated them with newer versions. Just because dropbox managed to revert all the zombie additions isnt enough. We have to be certain that the versions were right and/or they didn't delete legit file entirely from the folder index because it was affected i.e files missing because they were affected by the bug.

When we have several thousand files totalling to several GB's it is very hard to go and check them individually. We can't be even sure if the bug has been entirely quashed. Your response (even if bit technical) can help restore some faith in the bugfix.

floris
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
If dropbox wanted to know if their pro users were in doubt about staying past the /public folder nonsense, this is a kick in the direction of the door and through it.

I guess the next 'news' they keep 'quiet' is that our data has already been leaked and not just our user/pass combo.

Deesazter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hoi Floris,

Ik ben op zoek naar Nederlandse Dropbox-gebruikers die onverwachts verwijderde bestanden weer terughebben. Zou ik contact met je kunnen opnemen?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Danny
Redactie Kassa
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ed Dropbox Staff
    BackMeUp Helpful | Level 5
    jduffeytx Explorer | Level 3
    feklee Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?