cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: disappearing files

disappearing files

bla1776
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I transfer daily files to dropbox, and then occasionally, after a few days or weeks, these daily files (in a folder labeled with the transfer date), disappear from the folder. Obviously, this presents a problem. The structure of the file tree is the month, and inside the month is a daily breakdown by the date:

february 2021
etc.

These folders remain, but the contents may disappear, even though I have not deleted anything.

Any help?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bla1776 wrote:

These folders remain, but the contents may disappear, even though I have not deleted anything.

Either you or some process on one of your devices is deleting the files. Dropbox can't do it on its own. Check your Events page for any deletion events. You can also recover one of the files and view its version history, to see where the deletion occurred.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bla1776 wrote:

Either you or some process on one of your devices is deleting the files. Dropbox can't do it on its own. Check your Events page for any deletion events. You can also recover one of the files and view its version history, to see where the deletion occurred.

bla1776
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, that makes sense.  Appreciate your quick response!

Belly
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am totally confused by the whole Dropbox experience. I don't want (or need) any more than 2gb, so want to keep the 'free' offering.  Dropbox has saved a folder ('PC') which includes the Desktop, all my Documents and Downloads.  I don't want them in Dropbox, I just want to keep a small folder there which I share with some people for whom I occasionally do some work.

How do I get rid of the folder ('PC') from Dropbox (and thereby free up some space) without losing all its contents from my laptop.  Such an unnecessarily confusing platform, I'm glad i don't have to use it often.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Belly, let's jump right into this! 

It seems you have enabled our Computer backup feature. If you don't need to have your content saved into Dropbox, all you'd have to do is disable the feature using these steps

You can then move your content outside of Dropbox. 

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Geawna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The company I work for uses Dropbox to share files amount each other.  I was trying to find a folder and noticed it was removed. My co-worker found out that some of our files randomly disappeared last night when all of us were not using Dropbox. None of us had deleted it, yet so many files were missing. 

This is only happening to our shared files, but none of us touched the files or deleted it.

Is there a way we can prevent this from happening?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Geawna, thanks for reaching out to us.

Dropbox doesn't randomly delete your files; did you take a look at your events page, to see what happened?

If you restored the files, you can also check the version history, to see which device they were deleted from.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?