cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download from cloud to external drive

download from cloud to external drive

adelaidesean
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Questions like this have been asked before, but I haven't found an answer yet. My apologies if I missed something.

I am going to Antarctica for a year, and my access to the internet will not be guaranteed. I wish, therefore, to create a local back-up of the data I have stored in Dropbox. I know that I could, in theory, download everything to my laptop and copy it from there - but the internal hard drive of my laptop is not sufficient to contain all the data I have saved to Dropbox. Neither do I want to set an external drive as the default location for my Dropbox to sync to, because I read that there are risks involved in doing this. How, then, can I download everything from the could to the external drive directly?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The only way to do that is to manually download via the website and save it manually to the drive (as in select each file or folder and choose the download location as the external drive)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The only way to do that is to manually download via the website and save it manually to the drive (as in select each file or folder and choose the download location as the external drive)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

adelaidesean
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but it's good to know for sure.

MattHeck
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just searched around, and found lots of terrible solutions, until I realized a very easy solve. In Chrome, or Safari go to Preferences / Downloads / and change the download location to your external hard drive. Done. 

Anything you download will now go directly to the folder you chose on the external hard drive. Not just Dropbox, but everything. So make sure to change it back when you're done.  Or not. As ya wish.

Come on thumbs up, gimme gimme. I don't usually write these things. Cheers!

MattHeck
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's not. 

I just searched around, and found lots of terrible solutions, until I realized a very easy solve. In Chrome, or Safari go to Preferences / Downloads / and change the download location to your external hard drive. Done. 

Anything you download will now go directly to the folder you chose on the external hard drive. Not just Dropbox, but everything. So make sure to change it back when you're done.  Or not. As ya wish.

Come on thumbs up, gimme gimme. I don't usually write these things. Cheers!

son_ste
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

salve, vorrei sapere se c'è la possibilità di scaricare i file residenti in dropbox direttamente su hdd esterno senza dover prima scaricarli sul hdd locale e poi copiarli su quello esterno. Avendo tanti dati su dropbox non potrei scaricare tutto su hdd locale perchè lo spazio non sarebbe abbastanza, chiedo quindi se c'è la possibilità di farlo direttamente su hdd esterno. grazie

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @son_ste, I just merged your post under this discussion as I think your query echoes the OP (original post) here. 

Feel free to take a look and let us know if you have any other questions. 

---

Ciao @son_ste, ho appena unito il tuo post a questa discussione poiché penso che la tua domanda faccia eco all'OP (post originale) qui.

Sentiti libero di dare un'occhiata e facci sapere se hai altre domande.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PaulZissa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you! It works! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PaulZissa New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    son_ste New member | Level 2
    MattHeck New member | Level 2