cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox deleted all my files

dropbox deleted all my files

Wait292
Explorer | Level 3

I unsynced dropbox with the intention of deleting the app on my MacBook. The app had been unsynced for a while now and I assumed that unsyncing it wouldn't affect the files that I had saved on my computer. However, this deleted all the files that were not on dropbox and now I have lost tons of important files. 

I am also unable to contact dropbox support as the "chat with the dropbox" button is not working. How can I can recover my files, and how/why did dropbox have access to files that were on my computer. 

thank you so much for your help

3 Replies 3

Re: dropbox deleted all my files

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Wait292, welcome to our Community! 

It sounds like you had enabled the Computer Backup feature, while installing the Dropbox desktop application.

Keep in mind that your Dropbox folder and files remain untouched when you uninstall the app from your device.  

Can you open the Finder and search for any example file names you're missing or for "My Mac"?

Let me know the results once you do!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Wait292
Explorer | Level 3
No unfortunately my files are nowhere to be found.
It looks like when the app was installed, all new files that I was saving were being saved onto Dropbox and not on my computer like I thought I was doing.
So when I unsynced, it restored my computer to whatever was saved to Dropbox (Dropbox has been full for a while so a number of files were not saved).
I do not think any app should be allowed to take over one’s computer like this. I should have paid more attention when I installed it, but this remains a major issue.

Lori
Dropboxer
Thanks for writing back, @Wait292

Have you checked your events page, and also your deleted files page for any missing files?

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Wait292 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?