cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox folder location problem windows 10 pro

dropbox folder location problem windows 10 pro

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

This topic has been posted and replied to several times, but none suits my specific enquiry!

Tried to change the location of my dropbox folder using the preferences options in the desktop app.

Folder did not move, but copied, I now have two folders on different drives and the preference is still set to the original location.

How do I get the app to recognise the new location? Trying again brings up the message that a folder with this name already exists!

Is it safe to delete the original folder when the preferences list it as the location, or should I delete the new one and hope I can try to move it again?

15 Replies 15

Re: dropbox folder location problem windows 10 pro

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @tialkh98 - thanks for posting on our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please send me a screenshot of how those two Dropbox folders look like on your end to ensure we're on the same page?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshots attached for original folder on C drive and "moved" folder on Y drive. I see thay are not identical, which is why I need advice as to how to proceed, should I delete the Y drive folder and try again?

My reason for "moving" the folder is a notification from Dropbox that it could not sync my files as I did not have room on my hard drive!

Should I try a new test file in each folder to see if it appears on my account?

Dropbox folder C drive.JPGDropbox folder Y drive.JPG

Walter
Dropboxer
How exactly did you move your Dropbox folder @tialkh98? Was it through the steps outlined here?

Based on your screenshots, the syncing Dropbox folder is the one on your C drive, not the external one (Y drive).

Could it be that you enabled the external drive backup feature at some point?

To see if that's the case, you can take a look at the app's preferences under the Backups tab.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

Further to this, I tried adding a test file to both folders (different file names to differentiate). The file from the original C drive was copied/synced to my account, but no sign of the Y drive folder being recognised.

Just need assurance now that I will not lose my originals if I delete the "moved" folder on my Y drive and try to move the C drive folder again?

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

Walter - on checking the move folder procedure again, I realise I forgot to sign out from my desktop app and back in again. Will try this and if the folder on the C drive remains, I will try another test sync. If my account still sees only the folder on the C drive (as indicated on the preferences "sync" folder location), I will delete the folder on the Y drive and try moving from C to Y again, this time signing out and in after the move. Will report back re success or otherwise. Thanking you for your attention and advice.

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

Tried the Move again, but half way through the file transfer I got a message stating a file already exists on my Y Drive - so what?! and the move stops with no option to remove or re-locate this file. Tried signing out and in with no success. I now have two folders presumably only partially "copied/moved" on my Y drive as I did not delete the first one, merely renamed it "dropbox_old". The original is still on the C Drive (hopefully in its entirety?) and showing as the drive for the Dropbox folder in Preferences. I do hope these files are not being lost in this as they are my genealogy files from years of research and I use Dropbox to access the files on other devices! I also use Google Drive and BT sync and back up daily to an external hard drive, so now seriously thinking of ditching Dropbox altogether.

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

Today the app disappeared yet again from my toolbar. This seems to be a recurring problem with a lot of posters! I tried re-installing the app, and it makes no appearance. It is marked to be loaded on StartUp, but this does not occur. It's a real mess, with no sign of resolution.

Thanks to Walter for earlier advice, but have had no success with moving the Dropbox folder to another internal PC drive and no replies since, so when I find an alternative I'm off.

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @tialkh98, I hope you're doing well today! 

Can you rename the folder on the Y drive to something else (not with Dropbox in the name), then try to move the Dropbox folder once again? 

Thank you, and keep me updated!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tialkh98
Explorer | Level 3

The instructions state that Dropbox automatically names the folder in the destination drive as "dropbox" during the procedure. So I have been just letting it create its own folder under this name in the main folder "documents" in the Y drive. My problem now is that I cannot access the app in order to try a move again. In the meantime Dropbox is syncing the original folder in the C drive as confirmed with test files.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tialkh98 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?