cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox reverts TO online-only

dropbox reverts TO online-only

rsandidfc
Explorer | Level 3

I've subscribed to Dropbox for about 10 years. I've about 2 TB of files some of which are very large. I judiciously use both smart-sync and folder selection to control what is synced to my desktop or laptop and whether they are online-only or not.

I recently reinstalled my desktop (win10) and I installed dropbox as usual. Then I go through the all of the online-only folders and change the ones I use frequently to local, and dropbox proceeds to download them.

It can take over a day for everything to sync - but whats happening now is that dropbox keeps LOSING its settings about which files are online-only and which are local, and reverts everything to online-only. This is now the 4th day in a row I've had to select the folders I want locally and wait for dropbox to download, which hamstrings my ability to work for the day.

What I see is that dropbox starts downloading as usual, chugs along for hours, folders progressively going from the grey cloud icon to the blue downloading icon and finally the green local icon, and then at some random point all of the icons disappear entirely, then reappear as online-only and I have to start the process all over again.

Has anyone else experienced this odd behavior? Appreciate any advice as this is killing my ability to work!

Best regards,

Richard

5 Replies 5

Re: dropbox reverts TO online-only

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @rsandidfc, thanks for posting on the Community!

When you say that the icons disappear and all the files return to being online-only, is there any connection with a recent change to the files inside, or the desktop app updating?

Are you reconnecting at a different location, for instance if this is a laptop connecting at two different locations?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rsandidfc
Explorer | Level 3

No, the files aren't being changed, at least not all of them. And this is all happening on one machine. 

To me it looks like dropbox is in the middle of syncing and somehow loses its state and has to start over by "resetting" all files on this one machine to online-only.

Jay
Dropboxer
In order to look into this matter further, could you contact the support team directly for their assistance?

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rsandidfc
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I did chat with support today, ticket #12120947. They basically suggested I reinstall the software... considering this system was installed from scratch 3 weeks ago it doesn't seem to me that reinstalling should be the answer. Do you know if there is some way to get detailed logging out of the sync process so we can see what its doing?

Thanks Jay!

-Richard

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the ticket ID. Reinstalling the app might help repair any issues occurring. 

If the issue persists, please get back to the support agent via email so they can investigate in more detail!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    rsandidfc Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?