cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox upload

dropbox upload

Kegweg
New member | Level 2

I have uploaded a folder to Dropbox

If I update a file from that folder should my dropbox copy be amended automatically

If so how do I do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Kegweg 

It will only do that if you have updated the file inside of the Dropbox folder. If you just created a copy of the folder and placed that inside of Dropbox then no, it wont update when you change the files in the original location (its also taking up double harddrive space on your machine). 

Dropbox has no link to anywhere other than its own folder I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Kegweg 

It will only do that if you have updated the file inside of the Dropbox folder. If you just created a copy of the folder and placed that inside of Dropbox then no, it wont update when you change the files in the original location (its also taking up double harddrive space on your machine). 

Dropbox has no link to anywhere other than its own folder I'm afraid. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Kegweg
New member | Level 2

Many thanks, that answers my problem

Al H.2
Explorer | Level 3

I'm lost.  Haven't used dropbox in a while - not liking it right now.

I just want to upload a folder from my hard drive to my dropbox.  I copied and pasted in file explorer dropbox.  Are you saying that won't work?  (It's not showing up in dropbox.com and not visible from my other devices).

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Al H.2, thanks for your comment.

When you add a file or folder into your Dropbox folder, it should sync to your account and become visible on your other connected devices and online.

How long has it been since you last used the Dropbox application? If it didn't sync your folder, it might not be running.

Do you see a Dropbox icon in your system tray? What do you see when you hover your mouse over it?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Al H.2
Explorer | Level 3
So how do I ever get a folder there to start with? Or do I have to pretend I’m updating some already existing folder?

Dropbox didn’t work this way in the past, did it? Doesn't make sense to me.

But thanks fir your time and help.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Al H.2, if you've copied and pasted a folder into the Dropbox folder, then that should sync to the site.

If this isn't happening, then the Dropbox desktop application might not be running or syncing. As my colleague mentioned, do you see the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar, or any error messages when you hover over that icon?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Al H.2
Explorer | Level 3

Working now.

But the Dropbox icon is not in my Windows 10 system tray

And the icon in my MacBook doesn't show any activity.  But updates are happening and I'm okay.

Need more support?