cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate Dropbox folders inside Dropbox folder

Highlighted

duplicate Dropbox folders inside Dropbox folder

Explorer | Level 4

Hello:
After looking around here, I've verified that my Dropbox is saving in C://users/[myname]/Dropbox.
Within that folder, I have two additional folders, also called Dropbox, that contain duplicates of my folders in Dropbox....and each of these sets of folders points to the same documents.
So I've got multiple sets, some kind of recursion going on, where I'm afraid to delete the duplicates and free up some storage, in case deleting one set deletes all the originals.
Help! Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: duplicate Dropbox folders inside Dropbox folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots, @Beebles - they definitely give a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

It looks like the folders you mention are like any other, so you should be okay to delete files that you don't need in them. 

If you want to have some peace of mind, you can delete a file from the "zz duplicate" that you have elsewhere in your Dropbox folder and see if it gets removed from both locations. 

Don't worry though, even if you delete something by accident, you can still restore it as outlined in this article

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Beebles, I'd be more than happy to help out with this!

I'll just need some more info to make sure we're on the same page, such as:

• Are the folders in your Dropbox folder regular folders called 'Dropbox'? 
  • Do you see these folders online on the website?
  • What does your Dropbox icon (that's next to your computer's clock)show when you hover over it?

Could you also have a look where your Dropbox folder shows to reside in by checking your Sync tab from your desktop app's Preferences?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil:
Thanks!
1. One is called Dropbox, and the other I renamed zzDropboxDuplicate so I could tell them all apart.
2. Yes, I see them both online on the website as well!!
3. the dropbox icon says "dropbox 86.4.146 up to date" when I hover.
4. It's still c://users/[myname]/Dropbox.
thanks again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @Beebles

Hmm.  Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what they look like in your Dropbox folder and on the website? 

This will give me a better visual of what you're seeing too. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I've attached a snip of my dropbox; I highlighted the places where you can see additional dropbox folders inside dropbox. Online, my folders look the same. Thanks!

dropbox snip.PNG

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

And the dropbox/dropbox folder is empty, but the zzdropbox folder contains this, which replicates some of the folders in the main dropbox....and that's why I'm nervous about deleting them from zzdropbox, because I'm afraid that deleting them will delete them all.zzdropbox snip.PNG

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots, @Beebles - they definitely give a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

It looks like the folders you mention are like any other, so you should be okay to delete files that you don't need in them. 

If you want to have some peace of mind, you can delete a file from the "zz duplicate" that you have elsewhere in your Dropbox folder and see if it gets removed from both locations. 

Don't worry though, even if you delete something by accident, you can still restore it as outlined in this article

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?