cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing dropbox settings

editing dropbox settings

Bowderynman
Explorer | Level 3

dropbox is full. unable to edit settings to stop syncing automatically; the relevant options not showing or otherwise are (inexplicably?) hidden? Result; each time I delete files, dropbox immediately resumes syncing and fills up again. It’s driving me crazy! Maybe I have to remove dropbox (uninstall) and reinstall it afresh....?

5 Replies 5

Re: editing dropbox settings

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @Bowderynman, thanks for checking in with us. 

When your desktop app tries to sync again, does it sync new content or the files that you removed?

Also, could you have a look at your Plan tab to see what is taking up majority of your space?

Check it out and let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bowderynman
Explorer | Level 3

many thanks for your trouble. Am complete numbskull when it comes to Dropbox. Have no clue what the “Plan Tab” is for starters: moreover, none of the prompts the forums refer to, which would allow me to change the sync behaviour of Dropbox, are offered when I open Dropbox settings. It’s like trying to open a locked door that has no keyhole, let alone a key!

So, in order to have a fresh look at this I need some time to think about what I might be doing wrong. It could be my iPad? Puzzle is, I can access Dropbox on the internet through my iPad and sign in, but that’s about all I can do: otherwise, I am repeatedly reminded that my Dropbox is full and the best(?) way to free up space is to sign up for a subscription. As an octogenarian I really do not believe I could get full benefit from endless terabits of storage and I have really no desire to commit to a monthly subscription. I planned only to store memorable photos in Dropbox, not the entire contents of my hard drive!

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @Bowderynman, we're here to help after all!

The Plan tab will show you how much space you have and how much of it is being occupied by personal or shared content. 

You can click on this link to go directly to it and let me know what you find. 

If it's possible to send me a screenshot of it as well, that would be super helpful. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Bowderynman
Explorer | Level 3

herewith screenshot

Bowderynman_0-1615571554433.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Bowderynman, it seems like your account is overquota.

In order to free up space on your account, you can delete files from the Dropbox site, or from your computer, which will sync those deletions to the site.

I'd also recommend calculating the size of folders on the Dropbox site so you can see where the majority of files live, since it could be individual large files taking up space.

You can do the same on your computer via your Explorer/Finder window, to see if there are large folders waiting to sync, which could be why it's filling up quickly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?