cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file share went bad

file share went bad

New member | Level 2

Hello 

Can I ask has anyone had this happen? I sent a file to one person and it went to a person they know then forwarded it to the person I sent it to? I dont know the person it went to who forwards it to my person I sent it to.  What I know for sure is the people who it went  to do know my person I sent it to. Sorry if this is confusing. Example 

I sent a file to person@email.com that is it one person. 

The file then went to unknowntome@email.com who then forwarded it to who I only sent it to person@email.com

person@email.com and unknowntome@email.com are friends but I do not know unknown to me and never sent it them at all just person@email.com. Does anyone know why? Thank you 

6 Replies 6

Re: file share went bad

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@shanrac wrote:
... I sent a file to one person and it went to a person they know then forwarded it to the person I sent it to? ...

Hi @shanrac,

What do you mean "sent a file"? For sure this means you have shared some file, but there are different ways. Did you share the particular file as a shared file or you have sent a shared link to that file? Usually recipient doesn't have permission to manage share memberships of a share file or folder, so i'm guessing you have used shared link. 🧐 Am I right? Shared link, if not restricted somehow (the default), can be viewed by anyone receiving it (either directly coming from you or forwarded). :winking face:

Hope this clarifies matter.

New member | Level 2

Hi 

Yes I shared a link to a set of pictures to 1 person it somehow went to a person I did not send it to. Who then sent it to the original and only person I sent it to 

Thank you!

New member | Level 2

Sorry yes it was a link to a set of pictures to one person. It would be like me sending you a link to the pictures but your friend got it and forwarded it to you. Again thank you im very confused about this 

Chris 

:slightly smiling face::grinning face with big eyes: If you have no idea and can't find it out, nobody here can help you.

If for some reason this sharing becomes a leak, you can destroy current link and if desirable, reorganize the content you intend to share and share it again with some more care of security (pay attention what files, and who you are sharing your files with). 🤷 I can't say anything more.

New member | Level 2

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it! I wonder if its a database file corruption? 

@shanrac wrote:

... I wonder if its a database file corruption? 

:thinking face: I'm getting confused here. Is there something corrupted? You talked about, how to say, a link's travel. Now the focus gets move on something corrupted. What is really going on? 🤷

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?