cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file size. Dropbox seems to have moved in an unfriendly direction regarding files and storage.

file size. Dropbox seems to have moved in an unfriendly direction regarding files and storage.

mrolean
Explorer | Level 3

I've talked with two different people at Dropbox who, althought they were nice, couldn't help me.  I use the Basic plan and add files, then delete them to maintain adequate storage.  Until now.  I've tried deleting files, unsharing files, and nothing changes in my storage account which, as you can imagine, is near the limit.  Constantly getting notes from Dropbox to upgrade. But why would I do that when they have done something to make the previous way of using it unworkable.  My question is:

- why when I "unshare" files does it "Add" to my storage space?

- why when I "delete" files are they not removed from my storage space?

- who can I talk with at Dropbox to address this?  They won't transfer me to technical support because I'm using the basic plan.  Althought I do introduce almost 200 students to dropbox each year at the University where I teach.

Any help would be appreciated before I drop - Dropbox - and move to another service for University students.

John B.

4 Replies 4

Re: file size. Dropbox seems to have moved in an unfriendly direction regarding files and storage.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @mrolean, I'd be happy to help look into this with you!

Generally, when you unshare and delete files from your account, that will relief storage. 

To make sure that we're on the same page, could you send me a screenshot of your Plan tab so that we can see what is taking up space?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: file size. Dropbox seems to have moved in an unfriendly direction regarding files and storage.

mrolean
Explorer | Level 3

I give up.

I just typed a long message explaining what is going on in my dropbox and before I could hit the "post" it disapeared.   Bottom line, I can't copy and paste anything here (screen shots) I can't upload a word document with copies of screen shots showing the dropbox account.  I can't get anyone to tell me why my account is stuck at 8.677 GB of 9.25 GB.  Doesn't matter if I permanently delete files, unshare files, nothing chanes my space account.  Something is wrong, no one at Dropbox wants to tell me how to fix it, so I'm frustrated and ready to move on from this app.  I've used it for 8-9 year introducing 150-200 students a year to dropbox and this is the thanks I get.  I give up.  All I get is notes from Dropbox saying "your account is almost full".  Yah, I know that, and you won't help me find out why.   John

Can't upload screen shots to response I received. How do I show you info from my dropbox account?

mrolean
Explorer | Level 3

Someone at dropbox asked me to send them a screen shot of my dropbox issue.  Didn't provide an email account.  Ok, how do you do that?  I tried dragging and dropping here, uploading a word document here. Nothing!  Wouldn't take anyting.  This response box is useless.

Lusil
Dropboxer

I understand how important this is for you and, rest assured, we'll do our best to help out. 

You can attach an image in your next reply by clicking on the camera icon (above the reply box) or the Choose file button (below the reply box).

Attaching an image.jpg

In the meantime, could you also try clearing your browser's cache?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?