cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

files missing in synced folders on Linux, but not online or on Windows

files missing in synced folders on Linux, but not online or on Windows

sleepysloth
Explorer | Level 3

I've been using Linux for a few months and the Linux version of Dropbox has been great. Recently, though, I wiped Linux, installed Windows, and then installed Linux again so I can dual-boot. I didn't have this problem on Linux before. All the folders and sub-folders are showing up, and some are synced perfectly, but others will have some files in them and not others. All the folders in question are checked on selective sync and should be syncing. 

Al the files are showing up correctly in Windows. The files are also present on my online Dropbox. Since setting up the dual-boot, I've added files on Windows, and those have all synced properly to the Linux folder. 

All of the missing files I've noticed have been Photoshop files, but there might be other kinds I just haven't noticed yet. Other Photoshop files are there, though! A lot of the new files I added in Windows are Photoshop files, and again, those are all showing up on Linux perfectly. Dropbox on Linux says that everything is synced. 

How can I get all the files to show up on Linux again? 

I don't know if I explained this very clearly, let me know and I can clarify anything that didn't make sense. 

30 Replies 30

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @sleepysloth,

Some more information would be helpful. Can you provide additional information about currently running application and environment? Post the following commands results (executed one by one):

dropbox version
dropbox status
sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches

How many files/folders reside in your Dropbox folder? As an alternative, you can post the result of following command:

db_path=`jq -r '.personal.path' ~/.dropbox/info.json`; echo -n "Your Dropbox folder $db_path entries approximate count is "; tree -a "$db_path" | wc -l

You may need install 'jq' and/or 'tree' if some of them are missing on your system.

Let's hope the above results will clarify what's going on. 🤔

sleepysloth
Explorer | Level 3

For the first one, my results were: 

dropbox version
Dropbox daemon version: 112.4.321
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

dropbox status
Up to date

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 65536

For the last one, I did have to install jq and tree but after that I got confused. I couldn't figure out where my .dropbox directory should be. My Dropbox folder is in /mnt/sdc1. I found a .dropbox in there, but when I tried ~/mnt/sdc1/Dropbox/.dropbox/info.json, like so

db_path=`jq -r '.personal.path' ~/mnt/sdc1/Dropbox/.dropbox/info.json`; echo -n "Your Dropbox folder $db_path entries approximate count is "; tree -a "$db_path" | wc -l

jq gave a "No such file or directory" error. I also tried ~/.dropbox/info.json and ~/mnt/sdc1/.dropbox/info.json and got the same results. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change another part of the command? 

I don't know if this is the same info you're looking for but I do know that there are over 200,000 files and folders in my Dropbox. I sync the whole 800GB of it on Linux because I have the space (the sdc1 partition is 6TB) and I like to have all my files somewhere other than the cloud. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@sleepysloth wrote:

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 65536

For the last one, I did have to install jq and tree but after that I got confused. I couldn't figure out where my .dropbox directory should be. My Dropbox folder is in /mnt/sdc1. I found a .dropbox in there, but when I tried ~/mnt/sdc1/Dropbox/.dropbox/info.json, like so

db_path=`jq -r '.personal.path' ~/mnt/sdc1/Dropbox/.dropbox/info.json`; echo -n "Your Dropbox folder $db_path entries approximate count is "; tree -a "$db_path" | wc -l

jq gave a "No such file or directory" error. I also tried ~/.dropbox/info.json and ~/mnt/sdc1/.dropbox/info.json and got the same results. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change another part of the command? 

I don't know if this is the same info you're looking for but I do know that there are over 200,000 files and folders in my Dropbox. I sync the whole 800GB of it on Linux because I have the space (the sdc1 partition is 6TB) and I like to have all my files somewhere other than the cloud. 

Hi @sleepysloth,

I haven't mentioned that you need to change anything in the command and you should avoid such change! ☝️Just copy/paste it. 😉 That's it.

The number of files/folders in your account should be less than maximum number of watches allowed. Since in your case that isn't true ( 65536 < 200000 ), you have to change this system setting. Figure out exact number of files and folders in your Dropbox folder (together), so be able decide exact value for fs.inotify.max_user_watches update (with some reserve of course).

PS: Take a look here, so we can avoid repeat something already discussed.

Hope this gives right direction.

sleepysloth
Explorer | Level 3

Hmm, I tried that first and I thought I got the same error, which is why I tried the others, but now when I try it I get it says it can't open the file, permission denied. 

However I followed the instructions on the other page, made the watchable entries number 300,000, and now my Dropbox is syncing. I'm pretty sure that worked. The folders that I noticed had files missing are all updating. I'll double-check when it's done. Thank you! 

sleepysloth
Explorer | Level 3

Darn. Didn't work! Dropbox spent awhile indexing all the files, then syncing, and after it finished the missing files still weren't there. I restarted and it started syncing again, but now it's finished and the missing files are still gone. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@sleepysloth wrote:

Hmm, I tried that first and I thought I got the same error, which is why I tried the others, but now when I try it I get it says it can't open the file, permission denied. 

🤔 That's not possible. Are you sure the command gets launched exactly as I have posted it - without any changes? Post the "error" you have received together with the command executed exactly as appear in terminal.

sleepysloth
Explorer | Level 3

This is what I get when I enter that command: 

Screenshot from 2021-01-14 18-39-54.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @sleepysloth,

I have no idea what exactly you have done in your account, but this isn't resulted by Dropbox application (if everything used correctly). Have you changed permissions in your account (intentionally or not) or some configuration changes? This could be a result of some sophisticated games with the system, without actually aware what exactly you are doing.

Ok, let see what is the actual state (what you have done - we assume unintentionally). What's the result of following commands:

id
ls -ld ~/.dropbox*

I have some guesses as to what the reason is. Try following commands:

sudo chown -R naomi ~/.dropbox*
chmod -R u+rw ~/.dropbox*

Post the results coming from first code block and if there is some error message coming from second code block. 🤔 Based on results we will step up further.

sleepysloth
Explorer | Level 3

Here's the results of the first two: 

uid=1000(naomi) gid=1000(naomi) groups=1000(naomi),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),120(lpadmin),131(lxd),132(sambashare),998(nordvpn)

drwx------ 8 naomi naomi 4096 Jan 23 14:11 /home/naomi/.dropbox
drwxrwxr-x 3 naomi naomi 4096 Jan 13 18:26 /home/naomi/.dropbox-dist

And I didn't get any errors from the second. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    sleepysloth Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?