cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: files with .icloud extensions not opening

files with .icloud extensions not opening

slaxton
Helpful | Level 5

After upgrading to Mac Catalina OS, I found 408+ of my files in dropbox now have .icloud extensions and won't open. Apple says it is dropbox's issue. I need the files. How do I retrieve them from dropbox?

23 Replies 23

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox app will sync whatever file is in the Dropbox folder. Since it looks like the files were replaced with iCloud files, Dropbox would sync those as well.

Given there isn't any version history on the files, or any deleted files, it could mean that this change happened outside of 30 days ago, so it wouldn't be possible to recover the files or revert to an earlier version.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

slaxton
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay, 

I don't understand. What change do you mean? The added file extension? Are you saying that somehow iCloud changed the extensions in my files that were in dropbox before I upgraded to Catalina? The files were opening fine before the upgrade; one of the upsetting things about this is that I keep all of the projects I'm currently working on in Dropbox, as a matter of convenience. So I'm using them all the time. If they aren't in Dropbox, where have they gone? 

Thanks, 

Susan

Jay
Dropbox Staff

I'd recommend checking with Apple as to why the iCloud extension was added, most likely it's because you enabled iCloud Drive on your device.

As the issue occurred after the upgrade, this appears to be related to how the files were uploaded to iCloud, changed to .icloud files, and then uploaded to Dropbox. Since it appears to be a month since the upload, it wouldn't be possible to revert back to the old files using Dropbox.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lindsayelise
New member | Level 2

Did you ever get this resolved?? I'm having the same issue of having a bunch of JPEGs now listed in my Dropbox as .jpeg.icloud that won't open; however, when I download they don't disappear, they're just an icon for the terminal and when I double click it the terminal opens 😞

csetters
New member | Level 2

I also experienced the same thing with my business files, and it was devastating, it cost me a very large account that was just getting ready to close.  I was frantic, and I am furious..

Mark
Super User II

@csetters wrote:

I also experienced the same thing with my business files, and it was devastating, it cost me a very large account that was just getting ready to close.  I was frantic, and I am furious..

That is something you need to take up with Apple - Dropbox simply syncs what is in the folder. It isnt capable of altering the files.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

chekaldin
Helpful | Level 5

Our organization is also experiencing this issue.  We are now unable to work with roughly 110 files.

1. Dropbox is responsible for holding the files

2. If outside applications do anything to the property in Dropbox custody it is not the customer issue, it is Dropbox issue.

2. If Dropbox is aware that .icloud extension issue persists throughout their customer base (which it clearly does) they should contact APPLE and resolve this.

We are in the process of hiring outside consultants to help us get our files restored.  It is likely they will have to bill us not only for the investigation, but also for restoration of the original files - so in other words - we are going to pay out of pocket for recreation of non-working files.

Dropboxers -

you need to tell us how to work around this bug.   The sooner the better.  Yes, your Operating Agreement that we all had to sign probably provides liability defenses, but if this continues at this scale it will not be good for all parties involved.

slaxton
Helpful | Level 5

I'm dismayed that this bug is still screwing things up for people. I never resolved my issue; I sacrificed the files. When I went to Apple, as the Dropbox agent directed, they said it was Dropbox's problem. Eventually I found someone at Apple that told me the problem was that I was using two different cloud systems for storage, and that I should choose one. I chose to no longer use Dropbox. I'm sorry that you've lost so many files; sounds like they were important.

Sharonkk
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue. I pay a lot of money for Dropbox business and so many of my files are unaccessible. 

This is embarassing and hurting my reputation amongst my clients. 

I think I have to leave Dropbox. What are the better options out there?

chekaldin
Helpful | Level 5

There are No Options.  Dropbox is ghosting.  They will either ignore or bounce you off by saying that this is a 3rd party issue.

The core of the problem revolves around the question of who "own" the files.  Dropbox says they don't own our files.  That's their interpretation.  A lot of that is covered in their fine print.

My organization lost over 300 files, many of which are not replaceable.  We did ask our attorneys to look into this.  Once we solidify the damages then we'll be able to entertain a lawsuit that will revolve around the issue of "ownership" of assets.

But to quickly answer your question - No, you won't be able to recover any of the files that acquired this extension.

Dmitri

Need more support?