cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

' folders suddenly 'empty

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have used dropbox for years. In the last week, without any clear reason, multiple (huge) folders became 'empty'. Hundreds of the files I found in the Events paged as 'deleted' (when I did not delete them). Other old files that are missing are listed as 'added' !!!!???? in the Events page (again when I didn't add, delete, change, or do anything to them. I was able to 'restore' the deleted ones into their proper folders, but the Dropbox help sections were of no use in trying to put back my 'added' files into their proper folders. In the meantime, I am missing thousands of files and have no idea how to refill the 'empty' folders. This is an incredible problem for me.

Questions:
1) WHY would something like this happen???? I've been using Dropbox for years and doubt it is 'user error'.
2) HOW do I fix this without spending the next decade of my life trying to reorganize everything???

49 Replies 49
Highlighted

Re: ' folders suddenly 'empty

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am having exactly the same problem--twice in one week, hundreds of files were suddenly deleted! I, too, was able to restore them, but that took several hours. If this happens again, I'm ending my several-years association with DropBox. I'm also stopping my recommendation to my students that they use DropBox. I'd like to hear from someone about this.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Elizabeth, thanks for sharing that. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one (I think....) Maybe Dropbox can fix this? I've always loved them but I need immediate access to files for work and this issue is a deal buster if it continues.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The Space Race promotional space expired recently, which is why you are seeing a reduction in space - and this seems to be the way to let you know.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same thing just happened to me, and I can't find any way to restore anything.  This is a disaster of epic proportions.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I found this way of working-out - and it helped much of it, just a few files were lost;

Go https://www.dropbox.com/home and login to your account

Select <Events> from the menu (left)

Revert every action of deletion

And yes, it takes long

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

All my folders are empty. I've saved pictures to DB for sometime and some are only saved here. I will never store with DB again. Where are my photos!?!?!?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have never deleted I'm DB so how did all my folders for the last several years disappear?!?!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So... I am not the only one. I was going crazy looking for my missed files. I am sure I did not delete them. Can someone help us please. I have been using dropbox for years and now its not possible anymore? This is a awkward way to get more Dropbox users....

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So... I am not the only one. I was going crazy looking for my missed files. I am sure I did not delete them. Can someone help us please. I have been using dropbox for years and now its not possible anymore? This is a awkward way to get more Dropbox users....

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?