cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with Read Only -folders keep getting protected

help with Read Only -folders keep getting protected

josborne5247
Explorer | Level 3

I have been using Dropbox for many years and never had this problem (I use it on Windows 10 primarily, but also synchs to my android and ipad just fine).  Recently I stopped being able to save files to dropbox, and after significant poling around, discovered my folders were being protected as READ ONLY (found by right clicking on various folders at both the main dropbox level and inside the dropbox folder).  I had to manually reset many of the folders by unclicking the READ ONLY box in folder properties and then it would save again.  A few days later all folders are once again read only.  Very frustrating.  I am not going to keep doing this as it takes a long time to manually do this (clicking on Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files seems not to propagate through all subfolders...).

This must be a setting or some aspect of a recent update.  Can anyone help me figure this out before I am forced to abandon Dropbox for Google?

3 Replies 3

Re: help with Read Only -folders keep getting protected

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @josborne5247, I hope you're having a good day!

Is it possible that these are shared folders in Dropbox, that you have view only access to?

If you're not sure, you can check this by selecting one of the folders and choosing "Share", to see if the folder is shared with anyone else, and the permissions of the folder.

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

josborne5247
Explorer | Level 3
Nope, they are high level folders I created for work and have used daily for years. I did another manual reset to get rid of the read only attribute of my folders last night and was able to save again. We will see how long that lasts but seriiously considering a move to google drive if this continues.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for confirming that @josborne5247.

If they do revert back to "read only" again, I'd be more than happy to look into this further with you.

Please feel free to just give me a shout here if you need anything else too!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?