cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how do I reset dropbox sync on desktop and ignore local changes?

Highlighted

how do I reset dropbox sync on desktop and ignore local changes?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My windows desktop hasn't synced with dropbox online for months. I would like to replace all local files with the online files even if the local files have changed. Dropbox app hasn't been running. How do I restart it without the local changes being sent to the online folders? Essentially I would like to restart dropbox on this desktop like it was never there at all. Can I just delete the local Dropbox folder and then start the dropbox app? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Super User II
Super User II

Unlink your computer from your Dropbox account. Rename the local Dropbox to Dropbox.old (if you want to retain the folder, otherwise you can just delete it), then re-link the computer to your account. The Dropbox folder will be recreated and all of the files in your account online will sync down to your computer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Super User II
Super User II

Unlink your computer from your Dropbox account. Rename the local Dropbox to Dropbox.old (if you want to retain the folder, otherwise you can just delete it), then re-link the computer to your account. The Dropbox folder will be recreated and all of the files in your account online will sync down to your computer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

thanks, that worked. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?