cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer and delete them from my dropbox?

how do I transfer photos from dropbox to my computer and delete them from my dropbox?

Ida L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to move all my photos/files from dropbox to an external hard drive, remove them from my dropbox without delete any photos by mistake or anything. This is to organize my photos and files properly, so I can use my dropbox as a temporarily back up for my more recent photos which is why I wanted to use dropbox as in the first place!

There are several photos on my dropbox that doesn't show in my dropbox-app for my pc but I have a lot of old pictures there and I don't want to delete them, only remove them from dropbox and keep them on my computer. I have approximately 231 recent photos(on my phone) that I can't save on my dropbox because I don't have enough space. But I don't want to upgrade since I don't really need that much space. I just want to transfer them to an external hard drive via my computer.

I'm not good in English, but I hope someone understand what I want to do and can help me!

69 Replies 69

Sabrina S.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

An easier solution for Mac users. When you see the folder of your photos in the Dropbox home page list, don't click on the folder, click on a blank space in the same line. This will bring up a menu bar at the top of that home page list. Click Open from the menu bar. 

A window will open for Mac users(I am using a MacBook Pro) with that folder and the photos in it. Draw a box around all of the photos to select them. Drag and drop them into Photos on Mac(by having Photos already open in another window). They will copy the photos automatically. Wait until they are all there it takes a minute especially if there are any videos. 

Alessandro P.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I downloaded pictures from my mobile to my laptop and they went directly to dropbox without my knowledge.

I managed to save the pictures very painfully on the hard drive of my laptop into zip files, following the advice found on this forum. Still, I cannot unzip the pictures and any attempt I have made to copy them causes windows explorer to crash and restart. The same happens if I try to download the pictures again from the mobile into the laptop by accessing the mobile as any other external hard drive and copying the pictures as done with any file (normal copy & paste), or from the dropbox folder in my laptop to any other folder.

Obviously dropbox is causing the problem as this has never occurred to me before.

I'd like to know:

1) How to resolve this apparent conflict between dropbox and windows explorer

2) How to make sure that my pictures do not get uploaded from my mobile onto dropbox unless I really want to

Thanks

marigold1961
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Helen43
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox seems to be an entity that sounds so friendly to begin with, and then down the line asks for money to get more space which I don't need.  So I want to take everything out of Dropbox and put it in My Pictures (which is where they would have been, if someone who wanted to see some of my photos from a shared holiday, hadn't suggested Dropbox in the first place).   They are my photos and my videos.  I need to transfer them to the pictures folder on my laptop, or onto a storage device, but it won't do it.    I am scared that Dropbox are going to either stop me opening my photos, or, even worse, delete them, if I don't upgrade.    And they don't answer direct appeals for answers, either.

Helen43
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox seems to be an entity that sounds so friendly to begin with, and then down the line asks for money to get more space which I don't need.  So I want to take everything out of Dropbox and put it in My Pictures (which is where they would have been, if someone who wanted to see some of my photos from a shared holiday, hadn't suggested Dropbox in the first place).   They are my photos and my videos.  I need to transfer them to the pictures folder on my laptop, or onto a storage device, but it won't do it.    I am scared that Dropbox are going to either stop me opening my photos, or, even worse, delete them, if I don't upgrade.    And they don't answer direct appeals for answers, either.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello Helen,

No need to worry about your content, even if you do not have enough quota left to sync your files you can still download them from the website to your computer, check this article on how to do it using the Dropbox website:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/download-entire-folders

If you have more questions about your content and your account, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

TraceyGruver
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you very much Shirley! 

taineno8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Ida L. wrote:

I want to move all my photos/files from dropbox to an external hard drive, remove them from my dropbox without delete any photos by mistake or anything. This is to organize my photos and files properly, so I can use my dropbox as a temporarily back up for my more recent photos which is why I wanted to use dropbox as in the first place!

There are several photos on my dropbox that doesn't show in my dropbox-app for my pc but I have a lot of old pictures there and I don't want to delete them, only remove them from dropbox and keep them on my computer. I have approximately 231 recent photos(on my phone) that I can't save on my dropbox because I don't have enough space. But I don't want to upgrade since I don't really need that much space. I just want to transfer them to an external hard drive via my computer.

I'm not good in English, but I hope someone understand what I want to do and can help me!

Hi...I simply right click on the photos "copy" Open a new folder in Pictures and "paste".  I then copied the folder to my external drive and a pop-up asks you "Are you sure you want to copy this file without properties click "yes" and there you go.  When you have multiple photos or videos to copy click on the first photo and hold down shift to the last photo and "copy" then do the above

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

To download all the files you have stored in your Dropbox safely , you can do it either by using the Dropbox app on your computer or by downloading the mmanually on the website.

Using the Dropbox app:

Once you install the Dropbox app on your computer and the syncing is complete, you can unlink Dropbox from your device. Then you can move your Dropbox folder and store it wherever you want and do permanent changes to your computer that do not sync back to the website.

Download from www.dropbox.com

You can download the entire contents of a folder from dropbox.com in a ZIP file.

Note: It's not possible to use dropbox.com to download an entire folder that's over 1 GB or that has over 10,000 files

Additionally, If you run out of Dropbox space, there are a few things you can do to get more!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

arcticangel333
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
That doesn't help if you want to transfer your photos from drop box to your computer so you can delete Dropbox. Dropbox takes up a lot of storage!!
Need more support?