cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to STOP all automatic syncing

how to STOP all automatic syncing

shamone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to stop all automatic syncing. I accidentally allowed this when migrating to a new device and it's ruining my life. All the support I can find is to fix sync failures. I want to STOP ALL and only manually add files to drop box.  I have deleted the desktop app. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@shamone wrote:

I want to STOP ALL and only manually add files to drop box.  I have deleted the desktop app.

If you don't want to sync files, don't install the Dropbox application and just use the website to manually upload and download files.

With the application installed, Dropbox will sync any files you place in the Dropbox folder. In addition, if you enabled the computer backup feature, it will also move your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders into the Dropbox folder and sync those to your account as well.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@shamone wrote:

I want to STOP ALL and only manually add files to drop box.  I have deleted the desktop app.

If you don't want to sync files, don't install the Dropbox application and just use the website to manually upload and download files.

With the application installed, Dropbox will sync any files you place in the Dropbox folder. In addition, if you enabled the computer backup feature, it will also move your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders into the Dropbox folder and sync those to your account as well.

shamone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

yep, perfect, i had gotten rid of desktop app but didn't realize the folders had been moved. Moved them back to normal and all is well!  Thanks!

Hcubed
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
You can’t.

Apparently, Dropbox is either unable or unwilling to allow a user to stop the automatic sync of the PC.

And if you decide to close your account, remember that they are holding your files hostage.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Hcubed wrote:
You can’t.
Apparently, Dropbox is either unable or unwilling to allow a user to stop the automatic sync of the PC.
And if you decide to close your account, remember that they are holding your files hostage.

None of that is accurate.

Hcubed
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Then tell me a step by step process that actually works.

Rick10
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

we should have option--sync-n- sync

NQuinn
New member | Level 2

Question - If I delete the DB desktop app and just go to the website to manually upload and download selected files into a shared folder, will the other users with access to that folder be able to see the files?

Rich
Super User II

@NQuinn wrote:

Question - If I delete the DB desktop app and just go to the website to manually upload and download selected files into a shared folder, will the other users with access to that folder be able to see the files?

Yes.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    NQuinn New member | Level 2
    Rick10 Explorer | Level 3
    Hcubed Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?