cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change the dropbox app uploads folder?

how to change the dropbox app uploads folder?

Helpful | Level 6

I would like to be able to select the folder to upload to when using the share icon on my Android phone. For example, if I want to save an article and click on the share icon, I get the option to upload to Dropbox. But when I use that, I can't figure out how to select a folder on Dropbox where the new file (or URL or whatever) will go. And I can't figure out when I just upload it anyway, where Dropbox is putting it. I get the option to add a new folder each time, but I don't want to do that; I want to put it into an existing folder. Is there a way to do that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: how to change the dropbox app uploads folder?

Dropboxer
Hmm. Are you able to maybe navigate to your other folders in your account by tapping on the default back button on your mobile? For example, I was able to go back by tapping the < arrow that’s at the bottom of my screen. 

If you’re still having trouble with this, due to account-specific info that’ll be required to look into this matter with you, we’d have to take this discussion to email (in which case, I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Forum profile). 

Let me know how it goes, @lwittern.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Dropboxer
Hey @lwittern

Just to ensure that I understand correctly, I was able to add a file from an Android device to Dropbox through the share icon (that looks like a < with three dots) with the following steps:
  1. Locate the file I want to add to my Dropbox. 
  2. Tap on the < with the three dots icon that’s at the top of my screen. 
  3. Find Add to Dropbox from the options given.
  4. Optional: if you have a paired account, select the account you want to upload the file to. 
  5. Find the folder you want to upload it to. If it’s a subfolder, navigate through the parent folders. 
  6. Select Add that’s at the bottom right corner of your screen. 
You will then be taken back to where the file originally is in your phone’s storage, so you’ll have to navigate to the folder (or subfolder) where you added it in your Dropbox account. 

If you didn’t select a folder, could it be in your account as a single file? You can also try searching for it by tapping on the magnifying glass that’s at the top of your screen when you access the mobile app. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for this very detailed reply. It's very kind of you, and you've identified my problem in this process. It's your step #5, "Find the folder you want to upload it to." I don't see any way to find a folder. It doesn't give me any options to do so. I can either upload it to whatever folder it picks (not sure how it does that, but it gives me a folder with files already in it but doesn't tell me what the folder is) or to add a new folder. So, what I am wondering is how I get from the share and add to Dropbox part to being able to see and navigate my folders so I can select the right one.

Dropboxer
Hmm. Are you able to maybe navigate to your other folders in your account by tapping on the default back button on your mobile? For example, I was able to go back by tapping the < arrow that’s at the bottom of my screen. 

If you’re still having trouble with this, due to account-specific info that’ll be required to look into this matter with you, we’d have to take this discussion to email (in which case, I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Forum profile). 

Let me know how it goes, @lwittern.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Thank you for solving the problem.

I had the same issue as Iwittern.  Your suggestion of using the back button worked, but is not intuitive, since the back button normally takes you to the screen you were previously viewing.  The implementation for Dropbox sharing is not in agreement with this UI principle.  I suggest the addition, on the inital display, of an icon or button to select a folder.

Dropboxer
Glad to hear that my suggestion worked for you, @Thad3, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

I’ve made sure to pass your feedback along to the dev team regarding this, so if you have any other ideas or questions, don’t hesitate to give us a nudge. 

Have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Boy this has been bugging me for weeks, I never figured to hit the android back button, just implicitly expecting that would go back to the previous step that got me in to the sharing screen, rather than be taken as a command by the Dropbox app.  Simple but vastly non-intuitive solution.

Helpful | Level 5

thanks!! it works

like other comments, this is not intuitve.  

i am hesitant to hit back because it can take you out of where you want to be

Helpful | Level 6

Well by **bleep** I would have never thought of using the back button to look for other folders. Thanks for the update. 

Agree with other posters that this is not intuitive and here are 2 suggestions:

- Add an icon that does the same thing as the back button

- Make the main Dropbox folder list the save option, then we can just navigate to the needed folder

Thanks.

Dropboxer
Hey peeps, though we may be one step back, we’ve taken two steps forward with your feedback!

I’d be more than happy to add your thoughts on this for our dev team to review.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?