cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to delete a file someone shared with me

how to delete a file someone shared with me

sunnideb
New member | Level 2

I don't have much space on my dropbox left, I am going to upgrade,

but also an ex shared an album with me like 3 years ago & now i can't delete it...

Does anybody know how?

4 Replies 4

ab2650
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Sunnideb,

It sounds like you have a shared folder and no longer want or need access. To modify settings for all shared folders, first log into your account at Dropbox.com, and click on "Shared" on the left side. This list returned will be all shared folders and files. If you want to remove a folder from displaying in your files (which count towards your available quota) or syning to your local hard drive (which take up space), click the "three dots" on the right side of the item in question, and select the item "Remove from Dropbox."

If it's an item you shared with someone, the option may appear as "Unshare," in which case you will need to also delete it to remove it from consuming resources.

Removing from Dropbox will still show the folder listed in the shared items; if you want to permanantly remove your access, by selecting the three dogs again and clicking "Remove" will ask for your confirmation to completely remove access, otherwise you can rejoin a shared folder at a later date, assuming you still are permitted access and have enough availble space.

Hope this helps,

-AB

JP7947
Explorer | Level 3

A folder has been shared with me in Dropbox.  I have "View Only" access to the folder.  I want to remove one file contained in the folder from my Dropbox.  I don't want to remove the entire folder.  How do I remove just the one file please?

Rich
Super User II

@JP7947 wrote:

A folder has been shared with me in Dropbox.  I have "View Only" access to the folder.  I want to remove one file contained in the folder from my Dropbox.  I don't want to remove the entire folder.  How do I remove just the one file please?

You can't. You can remove the entire folder from your account on your Sharing page, but you can't remove individual files.

JP7947
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, Rich.  I was afraid that might be the case.  Too bad I didn't reach out a few hours earlier!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JP7947 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    ab2650 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?